Some loach help needed. Help

Discussion in 'Loaches' started by allibobs, Apr 19, 2010.

1. allibobs

allibobsWell Known MemberMember

I have had my loaches for approx 4 months well one slightly longer than the other as my first loach died and I replaced it as the other was missing it.

First of all can any one tell me if the loaches are the same sort as there patterns look different and if so what sort they were sold to me as twin banded loaches.

639.jpg
    640.jpg
    641.jpg
    642.jpg
    643.jpg
    644.jpg
    645.jpg

Secondly they were acting all wierd last night. First of all I noticed them rolling about in the gravel at the bottom of the tank together on a closer look they had lost all there markings and gone pink quite a bright pink. So I panicked and tested the tank ammonia 0 nitrate & nitrite both 0 PH 6.5 as always and every other test was as normal in the tank. This lasted for about 20 minuets or so and then they just popped back to there normal colouring and back to normal loach behaviour. What on eart was going on? I really did think they were dying on me.

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

They appear to be the same kind of loach,Botia kubotai with common names like polka dot loaches, angelicus loaches, marble loaches etc. There is always a tiny bit of variation in markings.
    http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-kubotai/?searchterm=angelicus loaches
    As for their actions they were being loaches:) When they scuffle they will frequently lose their color then get it back.
    Carol

3. Treefork

TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Yeah loaches are odd. I once lost a Yoyo loach for four days, I thought the cat must have gotten him, turned out he was just really good at hiding under gravel.

4. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

That looks quite a bit like a yoyo loach (aka reticulated loach). Though you can't see the famous "yoyo" markings on them, I'm pretty sure that that's what they are.