Some Lighting (and Fert/co2) Questions... Question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by TagTeam, May 15, 2018.

1. TagTeam

TagTeam Valued Member Member

I'm using a Beamswork DA FSPEC (24") on a 20g high tank.
    • Lumen: 3100
    • LEDs: 60x 0.50W
    • Config: 42x 10000K, 8x Actinic 460nm, 5x red 620nm, 5x Green 520nm
    I have it on 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening with a 5 hour break in between.

I'm trying to grow Amazon Sword, Green Cabomba, Wisteria, Pennywort, Frogbit, Java Fern/Moss, Anubias and Water Sprite.
    I'm using root tabs and I just ordered PPS dry ferts.

Nearly everything is covered in algae and most of the leafy plants have holes or cracks.
    There's consistently a high volume of algae on my glass that I'm daily taking off.
    I'm doing 25% PWCs per week.

Three questions:
    1)
    Is my light considered low, medium or high?
    2) Will the dry ferts help with algae control?
    3) Is it really necessary for me to use Co2 to control algae?

2. Dakotablue

Dakotablue Valued Member Member

Given that it's a high tank id say medium to low.

Most things that help plants will eventually help algae because plants will out compete them. Are you dosing Excel or doing anything else to help supplement co2? Helps plants and It can help with preventing algae growth too.

3. OP
    OP
    TagTeam

I just ordered dry ferts ( ) this week. I'm really hoping it helps with my algae problem. I honestly can't afford to go the CO2 route for about another year (if ever).
    Should PPS help my algae struggle?
    If no, should I also add Seachem Excel to my plan?

4. Dakotablue

Ferts could help, really the plants just need to take off and they should outcompete. Apparently Excel helps with algae because because of its glutaraldehyde content - a disinfectant and preservative chemical. Too much will start killing all kinds fo stuff including plants. Proper doses per instructions will be safe.

I use excel on all my tanks in little amounts with good results. But its not 100% necessary.

Any changes since ferts?

5. OP
    OP
    TagTeam

It's hard to tell. I've definitely seen a drastic change since adding 3 Ottos. Everything I much greener. But I added them at the same time as the ferts so I'm not positive which is helping, or if it's both

6. Dakotablue

As I'm sure you know, more fish means more ammonia production -- with a cycled tank that just means more nitrates for the plants. Sounds like you're on the right track! Don't over fertilize and you'll have a beautiful garden that outcompetes the algae.
    Good luck! Post some pictures when you can :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice