Some lighting advice please

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ShaunBrowne, Jun 28, 2016.

1. ShaunBrowne

ShaunBrowneValued MemberMember

Hello all, I'm new here and only starting with a 7 gallon tank that didn't come with a light which is sad cause its so dull..
    I've priced lights and fittings but its very expensive in any of the LFS but I have another screw in fitting and a fluorescent lamp of 11w, will it be sufficient? image
    Hope I can cause it would make my tank look much better.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

That should work! Keep the light on for a short period of time to prevent algae. Do you have live plants in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    ShaunBrowne

No just a black Moore and a plastic plant

4. TexasDomer

Unfortunately a black moor is way too large for a 7 gal tank, but that light would be fine for lighting the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    ShaunBrowne

Is it? The LFS guy said it would be fine, he's so small :-( which fish would work for a 7 gallon?

Thank you of the advice on the light

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
  6. TexasDomer

LFS employees don't always give good advice; they're usually interested in making a sale.

Do you like bettas? You could do a betta and some snails or shrimp?

What are the dimensions? You likely have options for other fish too, if you don't like bettas.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

7. OP
    OP
    ShaunBrowne

I do like the look of bettas but don't think there is shrimp there.. My tank is 18 x 9 x 11.. I have read about the nitrogen cycle, still trying to familiarize myself some more..
    Snails being the yellowish ones?

Would a few neon tetras with a betta be fine?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
  8. TexasDomer

There are lots of snails that would work. You could do a few small nerites? They'll keep most of your algae in check (and keep the lighting schedule strict!).

A betta would work and one would love the entire tank to himself. Or you could do some nano fish (do you want easy fish to keep, or would you want some that are a bit more difficult)? You could even do a few guppies if you wanted, maybe 2-4 males.

Unfortunately neon tetras are too active for a tank this size. Additionally, bettas and neons aren't temp compatible and this tank isn't large enough to keep bettas with other fish.

9. OP
    OP
    ShaunBrowne

Easy fish as a start then once I know more I'd get harder fish..

With nerites what do you mean by a strict light schedule? On for a few hours?
    I would prefer more then 1 fish as I feel its lonely

10. TexasDomer

Bettas are solitary fish and won't feel lonely.

But you could do a few male guppies?

Or a school of nano fish like chili rasbora?

11. OP
    OP
    ShaunBrowne

Hmm tomorrow I'll check the LFS for some new fish!
    Thank you very much for the advice

12. TexasDomer

Write down what they have and post the list here. We'll help you pick some that are appropriate for your tank size :)

Not sure I'd take the advice of that LFS employee anymore...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice