Some Kind Of Worm? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by alicia_lynn, Apr 23, 2018.

1. alicia_lynnValued MemberMember

I just noticed these in my 10G shrimp tank. The only new thing added recently was half an Almond leaf from the fish store. Anyone have any idea what they are? I only saw 2, one on my Java fern and one on the glass. Should I take them out or are they harmless? I haven't noticed them in my main 50G (yet?). IMG_20180423_185415.jpgIMG_20180423_190320.jpg

2. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

That is a pest snail. Looks like a mini ramshorn snail. They are not horrible for your tank other then wild reproduction and unsightly. You should remove them as you see them, crush and feed to shrimp, or make a trap and catch what you can each day and kill them.

Edit to add: you can get a fish that eats such pests,
    I am dealing with these currently, I put them all in one tank and use to feed my fish. When they get out of control, which WILL happen, I will kill what I can and start over, these pests generally come in on plants, so it's always good to do a bleach soak on all live plants, except tissue culture plants, to be safe

Just curious about the sponge in your filter intake, is it made of cellulous? If so you should remove and put an aquarium safe sponge in ots place. Cellulous sponges arent good as they deteriorate and slowly poison the water

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  3. alicia_lynnValued MemberMember

Ah I was hoping I'd avoid the pest snail problem. Any chance they came in on the almond leaf? I haven't added plants in a while, but any of the ones I added also went in the 50. I suppose the fish in there could be eating them. Not too crazy about adding a fish to eat them as the last time my shrimps were in with my tetras I'm pretty sure one got eaten. The sponge is a cut off portion of the main sponge I use in my HOB. Came with the tank which I bought used so to be honest I'm not sure entirely what it's made of.

4. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Yes it's possible they came from the leaves. Unfortunately once introduced very hard to irraticate.
    I would change the sponge as soon as you can to a guaranteed safe sponge to be safe,
    Here's a tip, on the back of standard sink sponges it will say "not aquarium safe" if you don't see that then you good to go as long as there is no scent or soap added, also avoid anything antibactirial

5. alicia_lynnValued MemberMember

This is the sponge it came from. I'm not really feeling changing all my sponge as I don't want a mini cycle but if it isn't aquarium safe I will. Not really a 'back' to it so I can't find anything saying it isn't safe, and the guy I got it from seemed to know what he was doing. IMG_20180423_194002.jpg

6. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Oh ok I just must have misread. And I understand not wanting to change everything, in most cases it's the right thing to do, to just leave it be, I was going off the first pic and I just went threw this 2 with the whole sponge issue

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice