Some Kind Of Fungus? Should I Try To Remove It?

  • Thread starter

camste

Valued Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
65
Points
113
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm cycling my new 80 gallon tank, and today I finally have some nitrites. It's at about 0.5 now according to my API kit, and the ammonia's gone down to 1 from about 2. But now I found some white spots on my driftwood. (3-4 spots) It looks sort of like mold, like a white lump with hair. The biggest one is at about the size of a grain of rice, maybe a little bit bigger. Should I try to rub it off? I'm reluctant to start changing the water since my cycle is starting to actually do something. Will the white stuff spread all over, or could it be fine to wait until I do the water change after the cycle? Some of the plants are melting, but I guess that might just be because they were recently planted and are in a sort of hostile environment.
 

Attachments

Timmy1027

Valued Member
Messages
98
Reaction score
34
Points
43
Experience
Just started
Is that a new driftwood? If so, it is totally normal to see some white mold onto it. If you don't like it, a retired tooth brush is a handy tool to clean it. But it will be a long time battle with new coming mold, since a new driftwood is full of decaying organic matter. Before those organic matter exhausted, you will see mold now and then, it is harmless to aquarium stock in most cases though.
 
  • Thread starter

camste

Valued Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
65
Points
113
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you Yes it's new. I boiled it for quite a while, but I guess that doesn't get rid of the stuff that might be decaying in there, and fungus could come from anywhere I'll try to get it off, but if it's very difficult to remove, would the fish eventually eat it? Like the fish which like to nibble on the algae on driftwood? I'm planning on getting a bristlenose pleco. And if it eats it, would it still be ok?
 

Timmy1027

Valued Member
Messages
98
Reaction score
34
Points
43
Experience
Just started
camste said:
Thank you Yes it's new. I boiled it for quite a while, but I guess that doesn't get rid of the stuff that might be decaying in there, and fungus could come from anywhere I'll try to get it off, but if it's very difficult to remove, would the fish eventually eat it? Like the fish which like to nibble on the algae on driftwood? I'm planning on getting a bristlenose pleco. And if it eats it, would it still be ok?
Seems common algae eaters are not fan of that. I suggest you let fungus grow for a while, like a month, that will consume remained organic material. Then clean the wood with a tooth brush. In my case, it took 1 month to remove all unwanted fungus. It only depends on how much food funguns can get...
 
  • Thread starter

camste

Valued Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
65
Points
113
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll keep it there for a while then, and scrub it off a bit later. Thanks for the help
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom