Some Kind Of Fungus? Should I Try To Remove It?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by camste, Apr 12, 2018.

1. c

camste Valued Member Member

I'm cycling my new 80 gallon tank, and today I finally have some nitrites. It's at about 0.5 now according to my API kit, and the ammonia's gone down to 1 from about 2. But now I found some white spots on my driftwood. (3-4 spots) It looks sort of like mold, like a white lump with hair. The biggest one is at about the size of a grain of rice, maybe a little bit bigger. Should I try to rub it off? I'm reluctant to start changing the water since my cycle is starting to actually do something. Will the white stuff spread all over, or could it be fine to wait until I do the water change after the cycle? Some of the plants are melting, but I guess that might just be because they were recently planted and are in a sort of hostile environment.

Attached Files:

2. Timmy1027

Timmy1027 Valued Member Member

Is that a new driftwood? If so, it is totally normal to see some white mold onto it. If you don't like it, a retired tooth brush is a handy tool to clean it. But it will be a long time battle with new coming mold, since a new driftwood is full of decaying organic matter. Before those organic matter exhausted, you will see mold now and then, it is harmless to aquarium stock in most cases though.

3. OP
    OP
    c

Thank you :) Yes it's new. I boiled it for quite a while, but I guess that doesn't get rid of the stuff that might be decaying in there, and fungus could come from anywhere :) I'll try to get it off, but if it's very difficult to remove, would the fish eventually eat it? Like the fish which like to nibble on the algae on driftwood? I'm planning on getting a bristlenose pleco. And if it eats it, would it still be ok?

4. Timmy1027

Timmy1027 Valued Member Member

Seems common algae eaters are not fan of that. I suggest you let fungus grow for a while, like a month, that will consume remained organic material. Then clean the wood with a tooth brush. In my case, it took 1 month to remove all unwanted fungus. It only depends on how much food funguns can get...

5. OP
    OP
    c

I'll keep it there for a while then, and scrub it off a bit later. Thanks for the help :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice