Some Kind Of Deficiency??

taylorguillemette

IMG_6933.JPG

Eco complete in the substrate and dose flourish once a week after WC. That’s it. I have excel coming in a couple of days. Some, not all, leaves have some browning around the edges. Thanks!

Buganjimo
How long have you had the plants in there for? If it has been added recently it’s normal for plants to melt at first. Do you have carbon in the filter? That can take out the fertilizer. Do you have enough light for the plants? What lights are there?

TexasGuppy
Flourish is pretty week for nutrients. Compare the % to some other popular ferts. Definitely looks like deficiency to me. Nitrogen or mg.

taylorguillemette
How long have you had the plants in there for? If it has been added recently it’s normal for plants to melt at first. Do you have carbon in the filter? That can take out the fertilizer. Do you have enough light for the plants? What lights are there?

3 months. Yes to carbon. Not really melting, growing ok just some browning on the edges. Finnex planted 24/7 cc. 6 hours on high and off completely from 12am-6am(it starts to “fade” on earlier) everything in there is growing.

TexasGuppy
I think the dark veins is a sign of mobile nutrients in the plant trying to cover the deficiency. Add epson salt or source of mg and nitrogen. From reading, it could get better in a matter of days.

Thunder_o_b
I use SeaChem products exclusively and use carbon. The products from SeaChem are utilized so quickly that very little is lost to the carbon. The products I use are Flourish twice a week, Flourish Excel everyday, Flourish Iron twice a week, Flourish root tabs every three months, Equilibrium mixed in RO/DI water, and Pristine.

Keep in mind that lighting is as important as the supplements.

taylorguillemette
Ok. Thanks guys. Things are definitely growing better with the finnex light. I’ll try doing flourish twice a week instead of once and look into magnesium/nitrogen.

SeattleRoy
HI taylorguillemette

I downloaded your picture, cropped, enhanced, and added some arrows so you can see what I see.

27272145118_c2179fd49b_b.jpg

The two #1 arrows point to new leaves coming out stunted and with a 'downward hook' at the leaf tip........calcium deficiency.

The #2 arrow is pointing at a leaf that is showing interveinal chlorosis (dark green veins with lighter leaf material in-between). If this is an older leaf it indicates a magnesium deficiency; if it is a newer leaf it indicates an iron deficiency....is it a new or older leaf?

#3 arrow is the winner of the group! I do not believe I have seen a better example of a manganese (not magnesium) deficiency; notice the fine 'netting' effect of the smaller veins with the lighter interveinal material? Manganese (not magnesium) deficiency

Please let me know if the #2 arrow is pointing to a new or older leaf....if it is a newer leaf then if you know your pH please include that with your response.

-Roy

TexasGuppy
I think my Amazon sword is showing #3!
I'm using flourish root tabs. How would I supplement manganese for swords?
I found 32% Mn powder. Can I dose in the water column? What percent should I dose?

SeattleRoy
I think my Amazon sword is showing #3!
I'm using flourish root tabs. How would I supplement manganese for swords?
I found 32% Mn powder. Can I dose in the water column? What percent should I dose?

HI TexasGuppy,

It takes a very, very small amount of manganese (Mn) to resolve the issue; typically we look to attain 0.1 ppm (part per million) concentration. The powder you found is likely manganese sulfate, the dosing level for that would be 12 milligrams per 10 gallons. Instead I would suggest picking up some Seachem Comprehensive which also contains manganese and start dosing it at the recommended level 2X per week. Then start watching your new leaves as they emerge, do not watch the existing leaves they will not change. The new leaves should show improvement within a couple of weeks if it is a manganese deficiency.

B. Terminal bud remaining alive. Symptoms on new growth.

1. Interveinal chlorosis on young leaves.

b. Interveinal chlorosis with smallest veins remaining green producing a checkered or finely netted effect. Grey or tan necrotic spots usually develop in chlorotic areas; the dead spots of tissue may drop out of the leaf giving a ragged appearance. Poor color. Potassium excess can inhibit uptake of manganese... manganese deficiency

TexasGuppy
I have nilocg thrives that has .19% Mn. I wasn't sure if that was enough.
I've been under dosing trying to control diatoms every time I fert. I'm also injecting CO2, which may be making the deficiency worse.

taylorguillemette
HI taylorguillemette

I downloaded your picture, cropped, enhanced, and added some arrows so you can see what I see.
View attachment 424704

The two #1 arrows point to new leaves coming out stunted and with a 'downward hook' at the leaf tip........calcium deficiency.

The #2 arrow is pointing at a leaf that is showing interveinal chlorosis (dark green veins with lighter leaf material in-between). If this is an older leaf it indicates a magnesium deficiency; if it is a newer leaf it indicates an iron deficiency....is it a new or older leaf?

#3 arrow is the winner of the group! I do not believe I have seen a better example of a manganese (not magnesium) deficiency; notice the fine 'netting' effect of the smaller veins with the lighter interveinal material? Manganese (not magnesium) deficiency

Please let me know if the #2 arrow is pointing to a new or older leaf....if it is a newer leaf then if you know your pH please include that with your response.

-Roy

Wow. Thanks. I didn’t know there were any new comments on this thread! #2 is an old leaf. There is new growth on that plant that does NOT have that symptom. My tap water is very soft 3 GH and KH. PH is 6.8ish in this tank. Since I have like an EVERYTHING deficiency, is there a better complete fert I should get? I don’t really want to buy 10 different separate micro/macros.

taylorguillemette
Actually sounds like I really need a GH booster? Are those always safe for fish? I have some corys. They don’t do well with salt I thought. Would Epsom salt have the same affect?

SeattleRoy
Actually sounds like I really need a GH booster? Are those always safe for fish? I have some corys. They don’t do well with salt I thought. Would Epsom salt have the same affect?

HI taylorguillemette,

Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) is not "salt" in the same sense as sodium chloride (regular rock/aquarium salt). I keep several species of corydoras in my tanks from the more common C. aeneus to the less common C. sterbaI and have had no issues with using GH Boosters or Epsom Salt; in fact they breed regularly.

For Arrow #2 I said you likely had either an Iron (Fe) or a magnesium (Mg) deficiency depending upon if it was a new or older leaf....I do not believe you responded. I said there was a manganese deficiency indicated at Arrow #3.....they are not the same.

taylorguillemette
HI taylorguillemette,

Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) is not "salt" in the same sense as sodium chloride (regular rock/aquarium salt). I keep several species of corydoras in my tanks from the more common C. aeneus to the less common C. sterbaI and have had no issues with using GH Boosters or Epsom Salt; in fact they breed regularly.

For Arrow #2 I said you likely had either an Iron (Fe) or a magnesium (Mg) deficiency depending upon if it was a new or older leaf....I do not believe you responded. I said there was a manganese deficiency indicated at Arrow #3.....they are not the same.

That is an old leaf but the new growth also has this going on. I do understand that magnesium and manganese are not the same thing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SeattleRoy
Replies
Views
blizowman1
Top Bottom