Some kind of Amazon Sword?

Jenay

I ordered Madagascar Lace bulb, and the eBay seller sent me some type of sword plant. As best I can tell based on the limited info that accompanied the plant it's a Echinodorus Red Diamond.

It's a pretty large plant, at least as far as my aqariums go, and is too tall. (Around 12-14 inches.)

Is this a plant that can be pruned back?

Right now, I've got it just resting in the water, lying partially on its side. It's a bare root plant. I think it'll be ok for a few days, but I'm not sure what to do with it, if I can't cut it back.

Thanks

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hope our planted members can help you today

Jonathan-ropefish

You can trI'm the outer leaves, it will make it more bushy. Also you should plant it in a nutrient rich substrate.

Jenay

I'm not sure what you mean by "outer leaves". All the stems/leaves are the same height.

I have a big bag of Carib-Sea for my column tank, but I just wasn't planning to set it up yet... Things need to be moved around for that... Apparently I'm going to put a rush on that. It's not the plant I wanted, but it's green, and will fill up a space.

Jonathan-ropefish

The outer leaves are the ones that are the oldest. The inner are the new growth. Was that sword grown out of water, if so it will melt then grow it’s submerged type leaves.

Jenay

Honestly, all the leaves look shiny and new. I suspect, but am not certain that it was grown out of water. If I'm right about the type of plant it is, then I'm now certain (just looked at pictures online) that it's in its emersed form. Under water, it looks like it's a shorter plant that spreads out, rather than standing tall.

If I just cut the leaves off down near the crown, will it just grow new leaves, in the submersed form?

Jonathan-ropefish

Yes it will grow more leaves if you cut the old leaves. If you leave the old leaves on it will consume the old ones to make the new ones.

Jenay

Thanks so much for the info. I think I'll just cut them off, and let it feed off the stuff in the aquasoil. If it does get big, I can transfer it to the tall tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
attheworld
Replies
Views
BettaCyrus
Replies
Views
MJohnson
Replies