Some ideas 10 Gallon Tank

1. escapay

escapay Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking of the future... My 10 gallon is not going anywhere because I like the plants I have in the aquarium. So fish will be an addition in the next couple of months.

#1 option
    Celestial Pearl Danio species tank - not sure how many would be a good number for an average 10 gallon aquarium

#2 option
    Betta

#3 option
    1x Honey Gourami
    ?? Flame Tetras

#4 option
    3 Platies

I really would like to try the CPDs, Honey Gouramis, and Platies out sometime... whether in this tank or a different one.

What would be a good addition to the Honey Gourami in #3... some small schooling fish I'm thinking. I put Flame Tetras because they seem to be on the smaller side, but I know there are smaller fish (like the CPD).

2. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I don't know about flame tetras, but small schooling fish are fun to look for. I think it would be fun to do a CPD species tank, they're really cute. I also think you would get tired of the platies. Mine just swim around and eat. They never interact with me like angels or a betta. You might be able do do a honey gourami with 3 platies, but I've never tried it out.

3. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Option 1+2. Using a female betta.

4. B

Borisbbadd Guest

I think option #1 would be cool.

5. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

id do option 1 with either a honey gourami or a couple of male endlers.

6. f

fishtankguy New Member Member

i have a ten gallon with 2 honey gouramis and 1 betta.

7. soltarianknight

which is really not advised. Bettas will tolerate other fish, but only for so long. As far as smaller schooling fish go, with a female betta, never had an issue. And CPD really mind their own business. But Honey are too timid to be with bettas, either that or the male honey decides to strike out and kills the betta.

8. allaboutfish

this is really bad. you should never keep gouramis with bettas.

9. OP
    OP
    escapay

I would never put a gourami with a Betta. If I do a Betta, that will be the only fish.

Thanks for the ideas. Wasn't site if I could have the CPDs with other fish or not.

10. allaboutfish

bettas can do good in communities. you just always need to have a backup plan.

11. soltarianknight

You can, their a little timid, but this actually works with bettas. Normally youd think you want a fast moving fish to stay out of their way, but the more active and pushy the fish, the more the bettas not going to like it, CPD are rather docile and stick towards the bottom, Betta in my experience care less about the bottom of the tank, more about the top and middle. Though, make sure to have some plants and decor for everyone to hide/sleep in.

Always have a back up plan for the betta. Introduce the betta last also. the only time things may go wrong is when the betta goes to rest and there isnt enough coverage on the bottom. Or if you get a super aggressive betta. But in a 10gal, this should in theory work.

12. OP
    OP
    escapay

I think I will go with a school of CPDs and eventually add a Honey Gourami.

I plan on using the 10 gallon as a quarantine tank for some Ruby Tetras first and having them then moved to the 36 gallon. I should hopefully have the tanks ready to go and both on shims later this week or next. Might be my project for tomorrow... can't do much today since I have too much homework.

13. soltarianknight

Sounds good!

14. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

15. OP
    OP
    escapay

I just saw your other topic maybe 5 minutes after I posted mine. :) I know two of the LFSs have them in stock... one had better colors, but their shapes look slightly deformed... I haven't gone to the other place in a couple months.

Let me know how your tank works out! I won't be getting the CPDs for at least a month or so. I was going to get 3 of them to start with, and then 3 more in the next month. Then after another month or so, go ahead and get the gourami.

16. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Will do! :)