Some Help Re-scaping 20g Tall Needed

Lana1049

Valued Member
Messages
237
Reaction score
58
Points
63
Experience
3 years
I've had this planted 20-gal tank for a little more than a year now... Well, I planted it a few months ago. I really don't like the look of the gravel at all, so I am switching to sand. That's not the issue, though. I'm on a budget of about 80-90 dollars, and I would like to redo my tank. I have a picture attached, and would love if anyone had any input as to what to add, what to move, etc. I'm going to be using pool filter sand, which will only cost about $10... And I would love to add more plants. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
20180507_202104.jpg


(The tank isn't actually this yellow, I have a really nice led light... and I use liquid Co2 and ferts).
 

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Messages
1,730
Reaction score
1,007
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
Im a huge fan of creek/river rock. Best part is its FREE. You could create some piles at each end with a central rock and the plants around it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Lana1049

Valued Member
Messages
237
Reaction score
58
Points
63
Experience
3 years
NavyChief20 said:
Im a huge fan of creek/river rock. Best part is its FREE. You could create some piles at each end with a central rock and the plants around it.
Thanks for the input! I love the way it looks in other aquariums, do you use driftwood in your tanks along with rocks? If so how?
 

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Messages
1,730
Reaction score
1,007
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
My amazonian tanks have driftwood and my son has driftwood in his convict tank. Most of my tanks i have made 3D backgrounds in and I tie the wood in to make it like roots or fallen logs. The rock just adds a little more punch.
 

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Messages
813
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
5 years
Lana1049 said:
I've had this planted 20-gal tank for a little more than a year now... Well, I planted it a few months ago. I really don't like the look of the gravel at all, so I am switching to sand. That's not the issue, though. I'm on a budget of about 80-90 dollars, and I would like to redo my tank. I have a picture attached, and would love if anyone had any input as to what to add, what to move, etc. I'm going to be using pool filter sand, which will only cost about $10... And I would love to add more plants. Any help would be greatly appreciated! View attachment 436342

(The tank isn't actually this yellow, I have a really nice led light... and I use liquid Co2 and ferts).
The first problem is the gravel, like you said, I would go with something specific for plants as this will reduce the need of liquid ferts. Second is the liquid co2, if you are using it to feed the plants carbon it's not going to work. The only way to get carbon to the plants is through pressurized co2. My opinion is that the liquid co2 is just a waste of money. I use eco complete for substrate but there are many different types available. Just search aquarium substrate in Amazon and you should find something you will like.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Lana1049

Valued Member
Messages
237
Reaction score
58
Points
63
Experience
3 years
danhutchins said:
The first problem is the gravel, like you said, I would go with something specific for plants as this will reduce the need of liquid ferts. Second is the liquid co2, if you are using it to feed the plants carbon it's not going to work. The only way to get carbon to the plants is through pressurized co2. My opinion is that the liquid co2 is just a waste of money. I use eco complete for substrate but there are many different types available. Just search aquarium substrate in Amazon and you should find something you will like.
Thanks! I do like using seachem excel because it helps with algae, but I can definitely do without it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Lana1049

Valued Member
Messages
237
Reaction score
58
Points
63
Experience
3 years
Hey, one more question: would you guys buy a real co2 system or build a diy one?
 

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Messages
1,730
Reaction score
1,007
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
id build it. then you know its capability and you can design it for expandability.
 

Ginni

New Member
Messages
18
Reaction score
4
Points
3
Lana1049 said:
I've had this planted 20-gal tank for a little more than a year now... Well, I planted it a few months ago. I really don't like the look of the gravel at all, so I am switching to sand. That's not the issue, though. I'm on a budget of about 80-90 dollars, and I would like to redo my tank. I have a picture attached, and would love if anyone had any input as to what to add, what to move, etc. I'm going to be using pool filter sand, which will only cost about $10... And I would love to add more plants. Any help would be greatly appreciated! View attachment 436342

(The tank isn't actually this yellow, I have a really nice led light... and I use liquid Co2 and ferts).
I sub

Eco complete black aquarium sand is extremely good for aquarium plants and just a side note as for decorating goes you can always add some really pretty aquarium gravel to your taste on top of the substrate for decor !
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

Lana1049

Valued Member
Messages
237
Reaction score
58
Points
63
Experience
3 years
Ginni said:
Eco complete black aquarium sand is extremely good for aquarium plants and just a side note as for decorating goes you can always add some really pretty aquarium gravel to your taste on top of the substrate for decor !
No I really do like the color but it is a little expensive- $50 to fill a 20g
 

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Messages
813
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
5 years
Lana1049 said:
No I really do like the color but it is a little expensive- $50 to fill a 20g
You only need about 1"-1 1/2" to cover roots. If you get it on Amazon it's only about $25 for a 20lb bag. That really all you would need. I only have 2 bags in my 55 gallon.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

Lana1049

Valued Member
Messages
237
Reaction score
58
Points
63
Experience
3 years
Ginni said:
How much is it for a 20 pound bag where you are ?
danhutchins said:
You only need about 1"-1 1/2" to cover roots. If you get it on Amazon it's only about $25 for a 20lb bag. That really all you would need. I only have 2 bags in my 55 gallon.
Okay, that's what I thought. I got a little doubtful because a lot of other aquariests say to have at least 2 inches.
 

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Messages
813
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
5 years
Lana1049 said:
Okay, that's what I thought. I got a little doubtful because a lot of other aquariests say to have at least 2 inches.
It is recommended to have 2" but not necessary. I only have a little over 1" in my 55 and have no issues at all. As long as the roots are covered well you will be fine.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom