Some General Questions (snails, Feeding And Algae)

Emouse

Reaction score
Hello! I am pretty new to this, I've had my fish for maybe 5 months? I started with just a Betta in a 2.5 gallon tank, moved up to a 10 gallon with the Betta, 4 Neon Tetras and some ghost shrimp. I eventually moved them into a 20 gallon tank with lots of live plants, added 2 more tetras and only had one ghost shrimp left. I starting having trouble with diatoms so I got 3 Otocinclus and a Nerite Snail per the recommendation of the fish manager at petsmart. Since then everything has been going pretty well but I have had an outbreak of snails. These don't seem to be the same as the Nerite Snail, they are small and translucent yellow. I just noticed today that they are leaving their little egg nests everywhere and I need to get rid of them without harming my one lone ghost shrimp or my Nerite Snail. Also, I got rid of the diatoms but now I have a ton of black hair algae. I tried to pick most of it out but what is the best way to fix that? Lastly, I have a question about feeding. I tried to feed just enough to float down for the tetras but I feel like I'm overfeeding the tank and my Betta by doing so. Does anyone have any recommendations for that?

GeorgeDaGreat

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
the tetras should eat the food floating on the surface so no need to overfeed. Also by overfeeding you are feeding the pest snail population so they will only grow in numbers. I had to redo my whole tank to get rid of them luckily they haven't come back.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I thought I was doing a great job of maintenance and feeding until I got my pest snails (they piggyback on plants that you buy to your tank) I quickly learned how much to feed my fish by how many pest snails I get. I suck them out with my water changes. When they were bad - up to 20 at time!! . Now that I don't overfeed my fish...maybe 3 pest snails at a time. Also, when your water parameters are off you won't need to test, you will know, because the snails start heading up and out of the tank.

New Threads