Some Food For Thought.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I came across this and found it to be to the point enough that I thought I would share it here.

"Fish are sensitive beings and if you keep them as pets, they come with a whole set of responsibilities. There are various aspects including the breeding cycle, food, temperature, water hygiene and an adaptable environment that have to be taken care of to ensure optimal health of your fish."

I pondered the seemingly obviousness of that statement for some time, and as I did the true issue came screaming at me from the computer screen. The vast percentage of people in the world (that I have had contact with) believe that anything that is is not human is more or less animated furniture. Something to be possessed and replaced as need or desire arises. Case in point, shelters and rescue homes for all manner of non human life. Fish are on the very bottom of the cultural scale.

So, what is my point?....... I have no idea.... What can be done?.......I have no idea.....

Might just be me stalling before I do the water change on the 150....I really need to plumb the system to the first floor. But as the brake lines on my pickup truck blew out and I need to fix that to day. I had to replace the wheel bearing assembly on Sunhawks car after work in the rain Friday. So I am not highly motivated right now...... Oh look, it is raining again, goody........

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rough day huh? Brakes are so much more fun when it’s raining. Don’t you think?
And the animated furniture part is spot on. I believe when we take on the responsibility for someone else’s very existence, it behooves us to take that responsibility seriously. My finbabies are treated with as much love as my furbabies.
As for what can be done? Unfortunately not much. Always going to be people treating others as disposable.
Have fun with the brakes. Look at the bright side, you can still get the job done. :smug:

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Individually, we can all strive to respect non-human life - maybe we'll rub off on some of those who treat animals as furniture. I heard a saying about while we can't solve every problem and take care of every animal, we can make a difference in the lives of some, and that is a very worthwhile endeavor.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
Individually, we can all strive to respect non-human life - maybe we'll rub off on some of those who treat animals as furniture. I heard a saying about while we can't solve every problem and take care of every animal, we can make a difference in the lives of some, and that is a very worthwhile endeavor.
Words to live by for sure.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My sister has always said it there is anything to reincarnation she wants to come back as one of my pets. I love most and respect all non human creatures both great and small. (I can't bring myself to make the same statement about humans). I can't say I love ants but I do respect their ability to get the job done no matter the difficulty.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom