Some DIY CO2 questions.

backflipfronflip

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
With the addition of a new light on my 40G breeder i have noticed hair Algae growing on the plants. Am i right in thinking this is likely due to a lack of CO2?

I am looking at DIY CO2 for my 40G breeder, will probably switch to injected in the future due to ease i think, but in the mean time i have a couple of questions I'm hoping you could help with.

How do you stop the CO2 being pumped into the tank at night?

For a 40G breeder could i use a single 2litre bottle or is 2 going to be better?

As a form of diffusion i was thinking about putting the CO2 hose into the intake tube of my Canister filter, would that work?

I have a dirt based tank, it was supposed to be a low tech tank but now i have a new light fitting it looks like i am going to higher tech with CO2. With the dirt bottom will i still need to fertilize?

Thanks in advance.

Mer-max

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You run an air stone at night, or like me - move your spray bar up to turn the water more. You don't turn off your co2. I've heard of the canister intake idea before but on my 20long I just crammed cotton from a dog toy into the line and then put a small air stone on. On my 55 I use a diffuser.

I don't know about your dirt bottom.

What kind of lights do you have?

Mer-max

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use two 2 liter bottles with a table spoon of yeast and two cups of sugar on the 55. On my 20long I use 1 one liter with the same recipe

escapay

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With my 36 gallon, I use 2 2-liter bottles. I think I need to play with the recipe and maybe even add more CO2 since my CO2 is not high enough.

Other parts have been answered. I don't know the dirt answer.

Mer-max

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
With my 36 gallon, I use 2 2-liter bottles. I think I need to play with the recipe and maybe even add more CO2 since my CO2 is not high enough.

Other parts have been answered. I don't know the dirt answer.
How are you measuring co2?

backflipfronflip

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So to keep an even influx of CO2 can i start with one 2 ltr bottle and then add another in a week? This way they will always be a week apart when i replace them to keep the CO2 production even?

Mer-max

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It only takes a min to change them. I marked one 1 and the other 2. I pulled one a week later and redid it, then the next week I did the other. Been working ok but I think for a 55 I still need more co2. I got my regulator today and will get the bottle next week so on my 55 I won't have to deal with it anymore

Mer-max

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Here's my understanding - a full 1.0 drop in ph equals 30ppm co2 - meaning if your ph without co2 is 7.0 and you add until you reach 6.0 you have 30ppm.

The ph kh calculations don't account other buffers in your water

backflipfronflip

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For this you need you need the CO2 free example, so if you have CO2 already running this will be difficult to test?

Mer-max

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Right. You could take some water from where ever you get it - tap, ro, spring, well - let it sit in covered for a day and then measure the ph. Aim for 1.0 lower than that when you add co2

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom