Some disease on cory??

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello Fishlore,
I did not know where to put this thread so I decided to put it here.
Recently, I noticed one of my albino corydoras was unusually white... its entire body is white and pale, almost transparent. The tank is a 20 long, and I have 8 total corydoras of the same species (none others have this symptom). I believed it was ich at first, but there are no white spots, just its color is unusually white. Any idea what this could be?

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry for the blurry photos... the corydora on the left is white, the other on the right is normal

Attachments

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
StarGirl15 said:
Is it acting normal?
Yes, finds food and is active like the others... its behavior is the same, just the color I'm worried about.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just keep an eye on him. Doesn't look to have anything wrong with it if its acting normal.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Stressed fish can sometime lose their colors. Can you tell us a bit more about this tank? If it is caused by stress maybe we can get to the bottom of it.
How often do you do water change?
How much do you change each time?
Is the tank cycled as in seeing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates?
What is the PH in the tank and in your source water?
What temp is the tank? and is the temp stable?
What do you feed them and how often?

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I usually change 40% of the water once every week. Recently I did have an ammonia problem (.5ppm) but I did fix that problem (back to 0ppm whew). Yes, the tank is cycled, and the ph is around 7.4-7.6. I have no heater on my tank currently, so it is about 72 degrees... I feed them shrimp pellets every other day. Sometimes I add half an algae wafer for them also

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gel0city said:
I usually change 40% of the water once every week. Recently I did have an ammonia problem (.5ppm) but I did fix that problem (back to 0ppm whew). Yes, the tank is cycled, and the ph is around 7.4-7.6. I have no heater on my tank currently, so it is about 72 degrees... I feed them shrimp pellets every other day. Sometimes I add half an algae wafer for them also
Good job on the amount of water you change and weekly is good. Is it keeping the nitrates down to at least 40? Once a month I would change out at least 60% of it though. I call the bigger water change a reset. things we don't test for build up over time and the bigger water change dilutes them. Everything else looks good.

This could be caused by the low temp. Albino cory's need the water a bit warmer to keep them comfortable. I keep mine at 76 and they are thriving at that temp. Thriving so well that my original 6 are now at least 25.

You may want to consider getting your little guys some HikarI minI sinking wafers for bottom feeders. Shrimp pellets are good but I don't think a steady diet of just that and an occasional algae wafer is the best thing to give them. My corys also go crazy for freeze dried blood worms. They don't get them more than once every couple of weeks though. I had to get real creative to feed them. I have a piece of netting with a very loose weave. I put the blood worms in a pouch I made from the netting and weigh it down so it stays on the bottom of the tank. All of the corys pile on the minute it hits the bottom.

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, the nitrates are below 40. My tank does not have a heater, so I will have to go look for one (what brand do you recommend?) Also will look into buying freeze dried blood worms

Another question: How often do you gravel vac along with your water changes? I usually do one deep vacuum once every month.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gel0city said:
Yes, the nitrates are below 40. My tank does not have a heater, so I will have to go look for one (what brand do you recommend?) Also will look into buying freeze dried blood worms

Another question: How often do you gravel vac along with your water changes? I usually do one deep vacuum once every month.
When it comes to heaters there are so many choices and I am not sure one is better than another. I have no name heaters on two of my tanks and a 200 watt marineland on my 55. You may want to consider getting some the HikarI minI bottom feeder wafers along with the FDBW's. My corys just get the blood worm occasionally as a special treat.

Back when I had gravel in my tanks I vacuumed it each week while doing my water changes. Now that I have switched over to sand I no longer have to do that.

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
mattgirl said:
When it comes to heaters there are so many choices and I am not sure one is better than another. I have no name heaters on two of my tanks and a 200 watt marineland on my 55. You may want to consider getting some the HikarI minI bottom feeder wafers along with the FDBW's. My corys just get the blood worm occasionally as a special treat.

Back when I had gravel in my tanks I vacuumed it each week while doing my water changes. Now that I have switched over to sand I no longer have to do that.
Alright, thank you so much! Will definitely look into buying these items!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gel0city said:
Alright, thank you so much! Will definitely look into buying these items!
Please let me know if adding a heater helps your little girl. I can't know for sure whether or not the cooler temps are causing stress but everything else seems to be as it should be so it is the only thing I can't think of at this point. Other than being a lighter color this little lady looks to be healthy. I say little lady because of her plump little body. Female corys are plumper than males.

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
mattgirl said:
Please let me know if adding a heater helps your little girl. I can't know for sure whether or not the cooler temps are causing stress but everything else seems to be as it should be so it is the only thing I can't think of at this point. Other than being a lighter color this little lady looks to be healthy. I say little lady because of her plump little body. Female corys are plumper than males.
Definitely! Looking to breed my Albinos :)

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm afraid the girl isn't doing too well anymore. She seems to be swimming vertically and BACKWARDS to try to reach for some air. She rests on plants and looks like she is very tired. All my readings are normal, so I am clueless on what she is dealing with. All other corydoras are alive and healthy. Could it be old age? Should I dose Prime?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gel0city said:
I'm afraid the girl isn't doing too well anymore. She seems to be swimming vertically and BACKWARDS to try to reach for some air. She rests on plants and looks like she is very tired. All my readings are normal, so I am clueless on what she is dealing with. All other corydoras are alive and healthy. Could it be old age? Should I dose Prime?
I actually don't think it is old age as corys live for a very long time. How long have you had her? Sadly sometimes no matter how well we take care of them we still lose them. I lost my female albino a month or so ago. I have no idea why. I chalked it up to the fact that she laid so many eggs she finally wore herself out. I don't really know if that can actually happen but she was constantly being pestered by all the males. She was the mom to all the bronze corys I have now. I have bunches of full grown females now so the pestering is split between lots of them instead of just one now.

One of my little male bronze corys was acting off. He was spending a lot of his time nibbling the water at the top of the tank. I know that sounds weird but that is what it seemed like to me. I moved the little guy over to my pleco grow out tank and he has been acting like a cory again. Shuffling through the sand instead of spending all his time up top. can you possibly move this little girl to a tank that isn't as deep?

OP
Gel0city

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had her for 2 years and bought her from PetCo, so she probably didn't have the best experience there. No males that are ready to breed yet, so that can't be the problem. I just did a WC but I don't have any tanks set up as of right now.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She is probably still fairly young for a cory. They grow quickly so she may have only been a month or so old when you got her. Keeping the water as fresh and clean is about the only thing I can recommend you do for her at this point. Try to keep the nitrates as low as you can. Hopefully you will be able to get a variety of food to feed her.

New Threads