Some Crazy Pics On Fb - Am I Missing Something? (staples Straight To The Body)

Discussion in 'Dogs' started by cla001, Apr 4, 2019.

1. cla001Valued MemberMember

Just figured I'd ask it here - I've never seen anything like this ever before, so I wonder if I am missing something and that's a standard practice now?

A lady posted a series of pictures in one of the local FB groups - she claims that the local vet stapled a patch cover straight to her dog's body using thick metal staples...

Is this some kind of a stupid joke ... or is it the way vets put patches on dogs now??

I'm confused. Any ideas of what it may be?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2019
  2. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Geez.... what is she thinking?!? They’re standard laceration staples and she took them out! Typical person the emergency vets have to deal with..

You do NOT want dogs to rip off and swallow a fentanyl patch.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  3. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I don’t think they were being used for a laceration. I think they stapled that patch on to the dog. See first picture.

4. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

They did, but it’s not going to harm the dog, it’s meant to protect the patch from the dog chewing it off, swallowing it, and dying.

5. JenCWell Known MemberMember

Is that a real thing some vets do? I hope not. I'd certainly be question staples in my pets to cover medicine patches. I think most people would. Why not place the patch somewhere inaccessible, or maybe cover it with wrap or use a cone, etc.

6. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

Okay, the second pic compared to the rest is very unclear. Where is this patch located? What was the patch for? What was the surgery?

7. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Either tissue adhesive or staples. These patches are very toxic to dogs if ingested, to kids too. Fentanyl is nothing to play around with. You shouldn’t even be touching it with your bare hands.

8. JenCWell Known MemberMember

Our vets don't cover fentanyl patches. I'd be shocked to see staples used to cover them.

9. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

That’s unnerving to say the least

10. cla001Valued MemberMember

Thanks and apologies to mods for posting FB screenshots - I'll see if I can just find a link to this posting.

I never had skin stapler used on myself before, but from what I understand, the way it works is it basically "drags" tissues into some kind of a hole and then places a staple in a way that the staple holds 2 pieces of tissue together, but the "needles" of the staple kind of look towards each other (similar to how a used paper staple would look like)

From what I've seen on those pics - someone literally used a stapler in the same way a nail-gun / carpenter stapler is used, when the "needles" go perpendicular to the surface those are stapled to (so deep into the tissue/bone or whatever is on its way)