Some Coral Questions!

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I just ordered some Certified Captive Grown White Pom Pom Xenia, from Live Aquaria, and I have a few questions.
1. I know these corals need/ like Iodine, does regular the salt provide this in the water? (I use Oceanic brand salt).
2. Do they need to be fed anything else, or will their food be provided in the water?
3. My aquarium is 10 gallon, with a 36 watt T-5. I'm wasn't sure where to place the coral... I want to place it in the front corner where the power head hits (on the sand). Would that be ok?
4. How do you aclimate coral? I thought I heard some where that coral should NEVER touch air... How do you get it into an aquarium?
5. Please tell me everthing you know about this coral. Links to info about them would also be appreciated.
6. How often/ how much should I take out when I do my water changes? I was taking out 2 gallons once a week, then just last week I started removing 1... What should I do? Its a 10 gallon.

THANKS!

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
10% to 20% water changes are good, everything I know about Xenia (which isnt much) is that it doesn't need VHO lighting so your lighting should be fine. Most of what coral needs is in your salt addetive but you should still test for things such as calcium. I supplement DT's and CYCLOPEZE and coral frenzy to my corals (fed via a turkey baster while the filter is off). I drip acclimate my coral just like I do my fish, as far as the no air I dip the bag into the tank and lift the coral out n then pull the bag and water back out.... I think that explains everything you asked.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Morgan111 said:
10% to 20% water changes are good, everything I know about Xenia (which isnt much) is that it doesn't need VHO lighting so your lighting should be fine. Most of what coral needs is in your salt addetive but you should still test for things such as calcium. I supplement DT's and CYCLOPEZE and coral frenzy to my corals (fed via a turkey baster while the filter is off). I drip acclimate my coral just like I do my fish, as far as the no air I dip the bag into the tank and lift the coral out n then pull the bag and water back out.... I think that explains everything you asked.
I would not dip bag then release for fish or corals this sometimes can have a bad effect to your DT it's better to have a bucket and acclimate fish or coral to temp of DT then add water from DT to bag then when it's time for fish or coral to be released to DT dump water into bucket not into DT this can cause diesease to DT.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also for the answer you had posted corals are fine coming out of water all types as long as it's not for along time like 5 minutes or so some corals in reefs will stay out of water for a good amount of time due to low tide. I have had corals out for 10 to 15 minutes for fragmentation and they are fine. For water supplements first are you using RO water and are you starting this tank? Calcium levels are 450 and magnessium 1350 use supplements as trace elements, strontium , Iodine,calcium for that small of a tank all synthetic salts should have all of these ingrediants in them just check the bag or go online to that producer most salts have more than others. If you do a water change frequently then you should have no problems.

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stang Man said:
Also for the answer you had posted corals are fine coming out of water all types as long as it's not for along time like 5 minutes or so some corals in reefs will stay out of water for a good amount of time due to low tide. I have had corals out for 10 to 15 minutes for fragmentation and they are fine. For water supplements first are you using RO water and are you starting this tank? Calcium levels are 450 and magnessium 1350 use supplements as trace elements, strontium , Iodine,calcium for that small of a tank all synthetic salts should have all of these ingrediants in them just check the bag or go online to that producer most salts have more than others. If you do a water change frequently then you should have no problems.
I was using deionized water then I swithced to the walmart "Drinking Water" which is processed using Carbon, RO, UV, Micro filtration, and Ozonation... What do you mean by "Are you starting the tank?".

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Walmart culligan is what I use which is RO which is a good thing! I was just wondering if you just started this tank or has it been up for awhile?

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Its been set up the tank March 26, 2010. So it has been set up for a little while.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's still a very young tank and things still need to take hold to have a stabilized tank it will take afew more months. Keep me posted!!!

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stang Man said:
It's still a very young tank and things still need to take hold to have a stabilized tank it will take afew more months. Keep me posted!!!
Ok, Tommorow the Live Aquaria order is suppose to arrive. I will try to post updates then.

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
do you realize that fire fish are jumpers? if you don't have a canopy there is always that chance, I agree w stang man your tank is still very new

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Morgan111 said:
do you realize that fire fish are jumpers? if you don't have a canopy there is always that chance, I agree w stang man your tank is still very new
I Have a glass top thing on the tank, anyway I noo longer have the fire fish.

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
EmmanuelJB said:
I Have a glass top thing on the tank, anyway I noo longer have the fire fish.
ahh I couldnt see it so I wanted to check.... what happened to him?

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok! My stuff arrived and has been acclimated, and I have some coral questions:
1. White pom pom xenia is suppose to have medium to high flow, that flow on it seems a bit hard.... Should I move it out of the flow?
2. The xenia isnt white, when it isnt stressed anymore should it turn white?
3. Do I have to feed it anything?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check all water perimeters and if your in the right range for all!!! It will take a few hours or less to see action frpom the coral did the put chill packs or sent it with none?

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stang Man said:
Check all water perimeters and if your in the right range for all!!! It will take a few hours or less to see action frpom the coral did the put chill packs or sent it with none?
They sent heat packs not chill packs... They seem to be doing very well just not white...

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It will take a day or so for them to adjust just keep an eye on them. What's your water quality?

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stang Man said:
It will take a day or so for them to adjust just keep an eye on them. What's your water quality?
I havn't tested in a week, but yesterday I did a 2 gallon water change, plus acclimating the fish today, I did at least that again today.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do 2 gallons again on friday or on saturday would be better. Then see how it goes.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads