Some Changes In Established Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by appcontrol, Apr 14, 2018.

1. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Ok so i have 22gallon approx. that is old 1.5 months, for last three weeks my water parameters are stable ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 18.
    I have a lot of plants but for substrate i have just some white/grey gravel that doesn't have any nutrients. Plus now i get that white substrate can't look clean whatever i do.
    So plan is to buy jbl volcano powder (macroelements) and flourite black or black sand (i have apistogramma so maybe sand) beacuse i have established tank and i dont want to put soil as that would cause ammonia spike and i don't have time to do few water changes daily for week or two.
    Then i would buy few buckets and plastic container, move all fish in container plug there heater, two filters that i have inside of tank now. Move all hard scape, move all plants out. Dry out water i would try to save at least 50-70% of tank water. Remove old gravel, put down 100g of jbl volcano powder, on top of that pre cleand flourite black or black sand. Put some foil over it (aluminum, plastic etc.) and start putting some old water in, lets say until 1/3 then put back hard scape and plants in, put rest of aquarium water and fresh treated water inside of tank, then i would put bigger filter juwel bioflow one in tank with aquarium polish media as pre filter(and i would leave for now in container pat mini sponge filter). I would add some ffm, wait 2-3 hours and then add back extra water and fishes in tank. I would put after that dose of voogle plus maybe i would put easy start bottled bacteria (i have one or two doses) in substrate before i put it in tank.

Dose this sound like good plan? Any other suggestions?

2. Tomcat1972

Tomcat1972 Valued Member Member

Sounds like a good plan. Well thought out and I think you have all bases covered.

3. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

Tnx. what are your thoughts on putting easy start (bottled bacteria) in washed substrate? And do you think that jbl volcano powder mainly have macroelements and i don't think it have nitrate or flourite black would do some sort of ammonia, nitrite spike?

4. ljm0104

ljm0104 Valued Member Member

Honestly I think you would be good with the old tank water and your filter media. With your tank being that young and assuming you didn't just have an inch of dirt and poop sitting on top of your gravel you should be okay. I've switched out tanks before from gravel to sand and they were all good with tank water and the filter media. If you wanted just an extra safety net you could put a mesh bag with bio balls or some bio media in the tank for a week or two to let it grow some extra bb then put it back in the tank or your filters for a while after changing the substrate.

5. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

Great idea i was thinking about that. I want to have chance of my fish getting sick or dead close as possible to zero. An for gravel cleaning i do it with siphon every 5-7 days.

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

There are some risks to changing substrate at such an early time when your tank is only 1.5 months old. The current substrate carries some B.B. in there. Removing it will most likely cause a bacteria bloom (white milky water).

Saving tank water is a little worthless and doesn’t carry much of the B.B. to support an entire system. The filter you have, remember it’s only 1.5 months old so it’s not super established quite yet.

If you go along with your plans I would wait a day or so to make sure your newly redesigned tank is ready for fish. Guarantee you will go through a bloom as a result of changing substrate.

I would actually wait a few more months for the filter to really get a hold of everything before doing this.

7. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

Tnx on all good advice.
    1. do you think fishes would be ok in just blank container for day or two?
    2. By some my logic isn't it better to make that change before there is no that many bacteria on gravel then later when there will be plenty?

8. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

If you plan on waiting (I don’t think you need to), put a sponge filter in the tank. After a month, when you move your fish, put the sponge in the container with them. After the change, add the sponge back into the tank with your existing filter.

I have cycled new tanks with seasoned sponges, sometimes with the sponge only being in the old tank for a few weeks. Instant cycle in 4 cases. The 5th has potting mix under the sand that was leeching high nitrogen, that one took 8 days to get to 0, 0, 40.

When I add a new sponge, I do add bottled beneficial bacteria although I don’t know if it’s necessary.

9. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

I already have two filters one is pat mini sponge filter 400 l/h and other juwel bioflow one 300 l/h (bot are inside of aquarium types filters) i did get that sponge filter for free but without sponge so i put new sponge on it and it is in use from first week if nothing to give nice water circulation because it is installed diagonal to this bigger with lot of room for filter media.

10. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I don’t think you need to wait, just my opinion.

11. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

Tnx for all info. I will put next week some ceramic wheels in filter because it was a plan with or without this change and maybe will wait one more week so i have some bacteria on them. Just to be on safe side

12. ljm0104

ljm0104 Valued Member Member

That is a great idea. I am going to add that to my plan for my next tank. Cheap and easy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice