Some Bettas...

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know this has been mentioned before in a post, but I can't find it.
Why do some Betta's prefer a small tank, while others flourish in the bigger ones (20 gallon +)?
Dante (God rest him), was the ultimate Betta. He lived in my 20 gallon for quite a while, and was the King of his castle. After he passed away, I missed his presence desperately. I decided to re-home Little Boy into the 20 gallon, not to replace the irreplaceable Dante, but because I think a Betta deserves the space more than any fish, and I thought Little Boy would be happy in there. He wasn't. He hid in the back, or in the floating plants. He seemed so sad and uncomfortable, that I am now acclimating him back into his old, smaller tank. He already seems happier, seeing his "home" again through the bag.
I have to admit, I am happy to have him back in there, as his tank sits on my desk.
Perhaps one day I will find another little Betta Boy to put in the "big tank"...... Until then, it sits looking naked and lonely.

S.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it is because bettas have different personalities. They're reasonably intelligent little fish and some of them are timid while others are aggressive and so on. My previous betta, Darth, was very affectionate and friendly to me, while Rusty is somewhat disdainful if he's not being fed. Darth tended to spend most of his time hiding under duckweed while Rusty swims all over the tank and is very interested in everything.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When Marty first came to me, all I had to put him in was the 3 gallon although it was not my first choice for him. He was great and active in there. He loved it. Then when I moved him even into the next step of a 5 gallon which was not a whole lot bigger, he hung dead in the water for a couple of days like he was afraid to move and I was worried and he is still not the very most active pet but he likes it better. Actually the thing he seems to love the absolute best is the bucket I have him in right now but it does have all the comforts of home. a heater, filter, plants, cave and everything.

Rose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Every One of my Bettas is quite spoiled in every way but Food. They are held to the strict diet principles on amount and types of food that I consider to be the best for them but otherwise the sky is the limit to the best of my ability. ;D

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
u mean the wallet is the limit these little guys get ur wrapped up and then do something like bite u for no reason when u r testing their water tho i think its just a playful thing 'cause they know they can't eat ur hand LOL

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I spend pretty much 24/7 with my bettas and they are my friends, my family and my children so to speak. I treat them as if they were the most important things in the house because they are. They keep me company and do as much spoiling of me as I do of them believe me.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom