Some apparent misunderstandings...

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I have gotten a few messages and had a few comments made to me that have me feeling like I need to explain myself a little better as there have obviously been a few misunderstandings. I breed betta fish first and foremost because I love them. I have 2 very seperate breeding programs going at the moment. I have my show lines and I have my sale lines.

There are 4 seperate, independent pet stores in my area with very knowledgeable staff that have agreed to purchase from me. I do not intend to sell them anything from my show lines, this is where my sale lines come in. I have several pairs of store bought fish that I have mixed with a few Thai imports for these sale lines. I am always on the lookout for any show quality breeders that may come from these sale lines, but do not expect it and I don't plan to mix my sale lines with my show lines unless some really good fish come along in a few generations. I actually hope to start something here! I hope people will see what a difference good care and breeding can make when it comes to fish they can buy in the stores!

I also have my show lines, which have a firm foundation in fish I purchased from MM. I am trying to develop my own lines from a few imported fish to go along with this foundation. I am very excited about showing in the future! Offspring from these lines will not be going to pet stores. Any that I don't keep for further breeding will either be sold on Aquabid, Ebay, or given to any of the half million friends and relatives I have.

The income that comes from my sale lines is needed to help offset the cost of breeding all my lines. However, I do not intend to short the fry from the sale lines just because they aren't show fish. I love all my betta kids they all get the same treatment, as do ALL of my fry. Just because a spawn is from my sale line, doesn't make the fry any less important to me.

I am a very hypothetical person who enjoys learning more everyday about these wonderful fish! I ask a lot of questions that are exactly that...hypothetical, learning opportunities. I will be the first to say I am not even close to being an expert and I GREATLY appreciate all the wonderful people on FL that are willing to answer my questions and explain things to me. Especially those who explain their reasons, this is what helps me learn...I love to know WHY!! If there is something I am not doing right, please tell me what I could do differently or why what I am doing won't work. We all have to start from the beginning and no one is an expert overnight.

However, there is an infinite amount of information of the net that is very wrong. Which is why, when I hear of some other method or idea, the first thing I do is post a question about it. This is so I can learn correctly and possibly debunk a few bad ideas! I don't immediately try everything I see suggested and a lot of the things I wonder about, I have my own feelings on and am just wanting to see if my feelings are correct.

I ask questions about a lot of different fish that I have seen, not becasue I want to buy them all...well maybe a few of them!!..but so I can check and see if my understanding of their pro's and con's is correct! It feels very good to me when I form an opinion about a specific fish and hear that someone else can see what I see...the good or the bad!

I hope no one is offended by my rant (...sorry it is such a long one!!!) that is definitely not my intention. Just wanted to set the record straight about my goals and intentions!!

EDIT: I don't mean to sound like I am accusing anyone of being mean or inappropriate...not even close! It is just a few email comments have led me to believe I have made it seem like I am just breeding cause "I can" with no plan in mind. I just wanted to let everyone know basically that the fish I have are not all just thrown together to see what happens. I have specific plans for each of them, be it sale or show.

2. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Nah, Critter your a good person with great intentions. I cant wait for updates on your fry. I hope everything is going well for you!

3. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

thanks Furallicah! At the moment, I have 2 tanks with young fry in them...so far, they seem to be doing great!

4. Furallicah

Yay! Thats wonderful to hear. I'm glad, I want to see some pictures when they start to show off their colors! XD

5. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

We all had to start somewhere....You have good stock and I'm sure you'll do the right thing with the grown fry......

6. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

YAY, the fry are growing out. I knew this time would be good!!

Buying breeding stock from MM is the sign of a serious breeder IMO. I always thought you were committed and loved how you asked questions, otherwise how else are you going to know what's happening?

I didn't know you had 2 lines, I just assumed that your show stock and breeders would be kept, but any others sold on, as MM does. Having a sale line is a good idea (especially crossing it with the Thai imports to keep inbreeding down, and improve upon the usual pet shop stock.)

I always look forward to your updates and seeing how you get on. Don't feel bad!!

7. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

I'd personally love to see a few pictures that illustrate the difference between the two lines. I mean, I had no idea how gorgeous bettas could be until I started hanging out here and saw MM's show pictures! Its like comparing a shetland pony to a arabian... both are horses; but ohhh my the difference! lol

And nothing wrong with asking questions; if anything lots of people (I know I'm guilty of it) are too sure of 'what we know' and don't ask because: we think we already have the 'best' answer, know we won't like the response, or just don't want to look stupid...

...so it is great to see someone willing to ask; to question... and generally provide an example for those of us that sit silent. And get some of our questions answered while you are at it! ;)

8. HOWsMom

HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

I second Shine's request for photos to differentiate the two lines.

9. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

here are a few examples...in order:
    Show--- multi hm male (Apollo)
    Pet store---marble crowntail (Senor Blanco) he is showig a lot of blue now
    Show---copper dragon plakat (Drake)
    Pet store---turquoise doubletail (Luigi)
    Show--- mustard gas hm (Captain Morgan)

These are just some examples of my males...and I am a terrible photographer!!

Attached Files:

10. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful fish, Critter!

11. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Beautiful bettas! Love the copper dragon plakat!

12. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

Beautiful!!!! :;perfect

13. Furallicah

*oogles over fish* XD

14. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

Critter, you and I sound very much the same! People are always thinking I want everything I ask about, which is simply not true! I just want to learn. Like for breeding bettas for example, I am thinking of doing this in the future *maybe* so I am right now trying to gather all info I can, which means asking questions. It doesn't' mean I want to do it now ya know? Or a certain method of spinning a yarn - I may be interested in the concept but not actually doing it, I just want to learn why, how, what, where, when all the time about everything I can :)

OMG THAT PLAKAT IS TO DIE FOR! I would sell an arm off for that fish!!!

15. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

LOVE the plakat, but Senor Blanco has *something* about him, he is not for the pet shop, he is for me to steal lol!!
    Lots and lots of lovely fish, thanks very much for sharing!!

16. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

You have some beautiful Betta Critter! Thanks for sharing the photos!
    Ken

17. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Oohhh...
    Captian Morgan is killing me Fritter!

18. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

lol Red! He is one of my favs!! I actually had someone put a "reservation" on my salamandar bf male...He wants him "as soon as I have bred him enough!"

19. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

I want that copper plakat.... really really badly lol

20. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

he is a bad, bad boy! I still haven't been able to breed that one. He builds an awesome nest and spawns like a pro, but eats all the eggs before he even puts them in the nest!