Some advice please

Discussion in 'Molly' started by molly flanders, Mar 23, 2010.

1. m

molly flanders New Member Member

3 weeks ago I bought 2 female silver mollies - both fish were pregnant and after a quarantine period they joined the rest of the fish in a 40 gallon tank
    The lyretail gave birth a couple of days after with no problems but only had 3 fry
    Now 2 weeks later she is enormous again-even bigger than the short finned female and last night I spotted 3 new born fry happily swimming around but both females are still pregnant or should I say still look heavily pregnant ???

The gravid spot is very noticeable on both and none have lost any weight
    Is it possible for mollies to have their fry over a period of time otherwise I think I'll just have to assume the stork delivered them :;dk

Any help or ideas would be appreciated

Oh maybe should have said none of the other fish (guppies, swords) are due to give birth

2. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

I Have Mollies and they Breed quickly and when my breed im lucky if i catch 2 fry and it is possable they could have their fry over a peroid of time it depends if they asre stressed i think. Are their any male mollies in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    m

Yes I do have a gold sail fin male who is very "active"
    But I expected babies to be born all at the same time

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore !!!
    livebearers can store sperm for weeks ...so yes its possible they spawned and saved more for later...if you didnt see more than a few babies, either she ate them or others in the tank did...

5. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks for the welcome and the advice - will probably be back with more questions later but for now will just wait for more babies

6. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Agreed with shawnie. Mollies are my favorite species. If the water conditions are not right, they can hold fry for some time. What are your water readings?

7. OP
    OP
    m

Nitrite and amonia levels both at zero, ph 7.4 and temperature 77

Have not tested nitrate, is this something I should be doing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice