Solo Chiclid? 20 Gallon Tank 

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm just spit balling a idea and looking for some info and thoughts.

The idea is a 20 gallon tall, has to be tall as the stand isn't long enough for a long tank. The stock would be just one Convict or one Bolivian Ram. I know that either can do a 20 gallon but nobody said if it HAS to be the long version.

I don't want to make the fish to be all lonely and then suffer for it, will either be ok alone? If both would be ok, which would you suggest I keep? Finally, is this a good idea? I have this nagging voice in my head that tells me that I'm underusing a tank by just having one fish in it.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think a 20 would be fine for a ram....not sure about the con.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Ram would be fine but I think a Convict would need more floorspace than a 20tall has to offer. You could probably get away with a known pair of Rams or Apistos so long as they didn't have to share the bottom area of the tank with anything else & the decor is arranged in such a way that there is a spawning site & somewhere for the female to get out of sight of the male. With Rams you could have some other tropical fish for the top half of the tank. Zebra or Pearl Danios would be quite suitable. Harlequin Rasboras would probably be fine or any other like sized fish that will mainly inhabit the top half of the tank.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the suggestion but it appears that an Apisto is pretty sensitive to water changes. I would think it be very hard for me to find a known pair of either fish so solo would work out best for everyone.

Nice tip on the Harlequin Rasboras.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rams shouldn't be sensitive to water changes as long as you are not altering the water chemistry with chemicals & the water your introducing is the same temp as in the tank. You can buy 4-6 Rams at once & wait for a pair to form then rehome or sell the others.

You could try to find a Golden Dwarf Acara (Nannacara Anomala) or a Flag Cichlid (Laetacara Curviceps) to have as a single fish with the Rasboras or whatever up the top. Both species get to about 3.5" & would be quite happy in that size tank.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I already have a pair of Angels in another tank so I'm looking for something new, thanks for the idea thou.

I'll write those two names down and go to the LFS this Saturday and see what they got.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads