Solitary, community, fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Fishyboy05, Dec 16, 2012.

1. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

I am planning a 29 gallon community tank. He stock I want so far is
    1 apisto
    1 gbr
    1 pearl gourami
    8 neons
    6 rumynose
    4 false Julii Cory cats

So I'd only have 6 different species! I want some good, solitary, community fish I could I'd! I'd b willing to not do the rumynose if there are some
    What about scarlet badis? Theese fish should be 1-4.5 in!

2. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

That tank is WAY to small for all of those fish, I suggest researching the tank size each one of those fish require before continuing... make yourself savvy on the topic... research, research, research...

3. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

That's a way to small tank for all those fish. A Scarlet Badis is a fish that stays small (1-1/2 in.) It can be in a community tank and is very colorfull little fish.

4. ghardin

ghardin Valued Member Member

I'm new to this and I was just wondering if someone could explain why this is overstocked? I thought it was one fish per gallon.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think it's overstocked at all. 2 dwarf cichlids in a 29 isn't bad. Of course there is the chance that they won't get along, but that's true any time you mix cichlids. 8 neons and 6 rummy nose certainly doesn't overstock you, nor do the corys. I would skip on the pearl gourami, though. They do best in a group. Aside from the gourami, I think it's a nicely stocked tank.

You can safely stock one fish per gallon, of small (2 inches or less) schooling fish in a decent size tank. Not beyond that though.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  6. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

the rule is actually 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon. this rule is way over rated and is ok to use with the smaller tetras, but when you get to the larger fish you can basically throw it out the window. you would not see a 14 inch oscar in a 15 gallon tank. it is all about the bio-load and evenly distributing the area in the tank (top strata, middle strata, and bottom strata). and it is also about how aggresive or passive the fish are. if you have fish that are nippy and will annoy all other inhabitants you want the annoyed fish to have a place and room to hide all to itself instead of having them all stuck in the corner.

edit: ninjad

7. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

+1
    If you leave out the gourami you'll be perfectly okay:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice