Solid lumps on Cory fin - should I be worried?

Effie

Reaction score
image.jpeg

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but had to join to ask about my Cory cat's weird fin, which we only noticed yesterday. As we have a large tank (180L) and the cories are quite shy, it may be that he has always had this condition and we've only just noticed, or it may be a recent development.

Either way, I thought it would be good to seek your opinion on what could be the cause of this lumpy fin.

As you can see from the picture, one of my Cory's fins almost looks like a fishy version of a club foot. From a distance it looks fuzzy, as if it's a fungal infection, but on closer inspection it looks more solid, as if the fin is encrusted in something hard.

The fish's behaviour is completely normal, and he's no more shy or skittish than the 5 other cories we have. He seems to be waving the fin around and using it in the same way as his other one.

So what could be causing this growth? Is it a deformity we just haven't noticed before, or something we should worry about?

Helpfully the fish in the background has posed to show us exactly how the fin should look, so hope that comes in handy too.

Hope you can help!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PetLover418

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to fishlore! Click on the add image to post link and upload your picture. If it's too big, use picresize.Com to resize it.

Effie

Reaction score
Thanks PetLover! I wasn't able to do it from my mobile browser as the form is simplified, but switched devices and it was all good.

What do you think of the cory situation?

PetLover418

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm not sure. I would wait for more experiences people because I haven't kept cities yet. TexasDomer?

Effie

Reaction score
Thanks DoubleDutch, I hadn't noticed the red breast until you mentioned it, but that diagnosis would make sense.

I've read elsewhere that bacterial infections are difficult to treat effectively in cories, so is it best to just keep an eye on him? I'm tempted to just do lots of water changes and hope it clears up on its own. Do you think this would be the best course of action?

el337, thanks for your response too. I've had him for about six months in our 180 litre tank. Our six cories were the first group of fish we got, and they've all admirably survived the awkward "new tank" period, so I'm quite fond of them. They're hardly little fellas, you know?

I don't have access to my water parameters at the moment - but my local fish shop does full water tests for free, so I can do that if needs be. Given that all our other fish are ok though, and we've been extra vigilant with water changes, I don't think it's a water quality issue. We feed him on algae wafers and flaked food. Hope that helps!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I'd treat her seperated in a Q-tank so the meds won't mess up the cycle. I doubt it will go one its own. You could try using Esha 2000. That won't mess up the cycle, but if it is strong enough to cure this I don't know.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't have access to my water parameters at the moment - but my local fish shop does full water tests for free, so I can do that if needs be. Given that all our other fish are ok though, and we've been extra vigilant with water changes, I don't think it's a water quality issue. We feed him on algae wafers and flaked food. Hope that helps!
Keeping the water extra clean will also help him. Getting your own test kit would probably be useful. The API Master Test Kit might be a little more upfront (around $20) but lasts you a very long time and gives you about 800 tests as opposed to the strips that are inaccurate and gives you far less. If the store can test with a liquid kit, have them write down the numbers for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for you.

I'd skip the algae wafers and flakes for them. They need a more meaty diet that consists of shrimp pellets, catfish wafers and frozen foods like bloodworms, brine shrimp, tubifex worms, etc.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd have to agree with DoubleDutch that the redness suggests a bacterial infection, so go with his meds suggestion as DD is much better at diseases than me, & keep the water pristine.

If it was just the lumps on their own I'd have said a diet problem as corys can get fatty lumps when fed too much high protein food, though the diet you have them on isn't the right one. Corys aren't algae eaters, they get little nutrition from algae wafers so I'd replace those with a catfish pellet & if you can get it some frozen or live foods such as bloodworms, brine shrimp etc.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom