Solid Filter For Comets

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by kamui, Aug 16, 2019.

1. kamui

kamuiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    hey guys!
    so my 2 comet goldfish have been growing at a VERY rapid rate. i have them currently living in a 25-30 (didn't measure it yet so i'm not sure) gallon tank (which is far too small i know) but i should be getting a 125 gallon tank soon!
    since they have been growing so big so fast, they also produce a LOT more waste, and it even got so bad to where if i don't change their tank every 3 days they get ammonia burns:(

i want to get a good, quality filter for the tank that they are currently in, because i had to go back into school, so i don't have as much energy to change their tank. what is a strong filter that would work for this tank? i'm mostly just worried about them getting sucked in! they already have a sponge filter made for 20 gallons, but it hasn't been holding up well lately because of how much waste they produce.

i will post how many gallons their current tank is after i measure it really quick!

2. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,745
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It will have to be something that will turn the water at a much faster pace than a sponge filter will offer. If money is an issue I would go for a Marineland 350 or a AC 70. That should hold for a little bit. If you can get a canister that would be a much better option.

Just make sure it's rated higher. Getting a filter that is rated for a 20 isn't going to work. Hence the recommendation above, they run "70g" tanks but technically more like 60-65g.

3. OP
    OP
    kamui

kamuiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    thank you !! i was actually looking at that one but i was worried that they would get sucked in, but i'll look into it more!

4. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,273
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Might want to check out the Seachem Tidal filters for their more enhanced features over other HOBs. Kens Fish has the Tidal 110 on sale for only $63 with free shipping. It is 450 gph but can be turned down 80% to just 90 gph in 10% increments.

Seachem Power Filters Kens fish

Self priming w/submerged pump so it’s quiet and will always start after a power failure or maintenance, media basket that locks in place and won’t push up flooding your floor, variable flow control in 10% increments, built in skimmer, self cleaning impeller and comes with the best bio media, Seachem Matrix for nitrate reduction.

Move it over to your new tank when you get it.

5. Michael.j.gomez

Michael.j.gomezValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +264
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hello, you may want to look into a Penn-plax cascade 1000 canister(rated for 100gal tank). I've found them for $63.89+4.99 ship online at marine & reef.com.
    I use on 75gal 3×fancies & 3×dojo loach for 1+yrs. Keeps water crystal. Hope this helps you!!!!! 20190816_173926.

6. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,474
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have 2 Tidal 110s on my 75g tank w/ 3 goldfish. If you're getting a 125g tank in the future make sure the filter can fit on the thicker rim.

I also have a SunSun 304B canister for my 150g stock tank w/ about 12 goldfish.

7. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +245
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    While these other filters are very good, there's also nothing wrong with the concept of the sponge filter. The one you have is simply greatly undersized for the task at hand. You have one that's barely able to deal with the size tank you have with normal stocking, and then you have the tank significantly overstocked. It's not the type of filter that's the problem, it's the size.

Depending on how you have the tank currently set up, you might want to consider a matten filter, which is essentially a very big sponge filter that fills one entire end of the tank. A corner matten filter takes just one rear corner, but it requires completely emptying the tank and installing some braces to hold the foam, and it takes a few days for the silicone to cure. That's okay if you're starting from scratch but probably not the best solution for you. But with the full matten you just put the foam in the end of the tank and install an uplift or pump to move the water from behind the foam. Well designed air-driven lifts can move up to 500 GPH, so you should have no problem finding one appropriate for your tank.

The other idea would be just a much larger sponge filter. Swiss Tropicals has some very good ones and also has the foam and uplifts you'd need for a matten filter. I'd suggest emailing the owner, describing your situation, and asking for his recommendation.

8. Celestialpearl

CelestialpearlValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    JayH pointed out a good concept if things are a little tight with going back to school.

I’m just not sure a Matten would be enough...but they are cheap to make and you can do it yourself compared to other options. The biggest expense will be either a pump or powerhead with this method.

I know you’ll get way more surface area for bacteria out of the sponge Matten than you will a HOB.

9. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +245
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The Matten filter with enough water being pumped out from behind will be more than enough. Rachel O'Leary has a corner Matten filter on a 150 gallon tank and she seems extremely pleased with the results. She has a video on YouTube of her cleaning it for the first time in 15 months. You just need enough foam and sufficient flow.

It looks like Swiss Tropicals has redone their Matten filter page since I looked at it last. It appears a Matten filter with a Jetlifter for the OP's tank would be in the ballpark of $30. He does have flat rate shipping so that would add another $12 for shipping to the continental U.S.

I would add that the large Jetlifter needs about 200l/h of air, which is a fair bit. The average "for 20 gallons" air pump isn't going to come close. I bought a Tetra Whisper AP150 for mine. It does about 230l/h at 10" depth, so just about right for the large Jetlifter. That will move a bit over 200 gallons per hour of water, which should be more than enough for the size of tank in question.

You can also maximize the use of space behind the Matten filter by putting additional filter media like Matrix or Biohome back there. It will get a relatively low flow that should be good for denitrifying bacteria. If ordering the Matten filter parts from Swiss Tropicals, I'd suggest also ordering a gallon of their foam cubes (~$10) and dumping some of those behind the Matten. Don't stack them, just drop them in haphazardly. You want space for the water to flow around them providing a low flow through the cubes that should provide safe harbor for the denitrifying bacteria. It's a cheap way of accomplishing the same thing as Matrix or Biohome.

You can hide the heater behind the foam too.

10. OP
    OP
    kamui

kamuiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you guys!

I've actually never heard of a Matten filter before, so I'm excited to look into that. For now I think that I will temporarily use a spare canister filter and put some sponge underneath so that I don't have to worry about it being too strong.
    I'll try to look up simple ways to make some filters and put it in the newer tank! Thanks again :)

11. OP
    OP
    kamui

kamuiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
  12. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,612
    Experience:
    1 year
    If I were to use an Aquaclear on a 30g for 2 goldfish, I would get the AC70.

I have a couple of AC's so, I'm familiar with them.

For reference l, I had 2x AC30's on an overstocked 20g.

I have AC70's and an AC110 also. I think the AC70 would be your best bet, if you want to go with Aquaclear.

If you're on a budget, a Marineland Penguin 350 can usually be found online for $26-$30.

If you throw some sponges in the reservoirs in lieu of the cartridges, your would have some good filtration.

The other members who recommend SunSun and Cascade canisters, mattenfilters and Tidal HOB's offer great advice also. Those are all excellent options as well.

Also, unless I missed if you already mentioned it, what substrate do you have, gravel or sand?

If you have gravel, that could be a major contributor to your water parameter issues. It can easily cause spikes in ammonia and nitrates, if there is a build up of decaying organic waste in the gravel.

Gravel can be a magnet for uneaten food and fish waste in many cases, and has to be cleaned with a gravel siphon vac thoroughly at each water change. Our first tank had gravel, and I hated it.

All our tanks run pool filter sand from Quikrete, available at Home Depot for $7 per 50lb bag. Although it has to be initially rinsed a lot with a bucket and garden hose before dropping in the tank, the effort is well worth it.

In our experience, fish waste and uneaten fish food doesn't sink straight down into the sand, unlike how it did with the gravel.

13. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +245
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I wouldn't worry too much about the flow from any filter that's sized even remotely close to appropriately. What looks like a raging torrent to us in an aquarium is just another slow day in the river for the average fish. Water flowing at one foot per second looks like rapids in a 20 gallon tank, yet it's only a current of 0.68 MPH. Less than one mile per hour. Most fish are designed by nature to deal with ease with much stronger currents. There are exceptions of course.

The AquaClear you linked is a good filter. I'd go with the larger one. Manufacturers are generally extremely optimistic about the capacity of their filters. A good rule of thumb is to divide their recommendation by two, so if they say "up to 50 gallons", figure on it actually handling half that, possibly even less.

Another filter you might want to look at is the Tidal 55. It's a bit more expensive but has a number of very nice features, including a fully removable media basket that you can lift out for cleaning while leaving the body of the filter in place on the tank.

As to the Matten filter, it's not the prettiest thing, but with the right flow it's very effective. Many breeders use them because they work and only require cleaning about once a year. The corner Matten is a bit easier on the eyes since it just takes up a rear corner of the tank. Properly done it actually looks more in harmony with the rest of the tank than the typical plumbing for HOB or canister. But, as I said, you have to start with a dry tank and it takes a couple days to get the braces in place and the silicone cured. There are about a million videos on YouTube if you want to see them in action.

14. OP
    OP
    kamui

kamuiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    I use a mixture of sand and gravel. I have a layer of gravel at the very bottom and about an inch of sand on top.
    i hope this filter will work out for me!