Sold to me as clown pleco, definatly not a clown. Id please?

MonumentalMurderBean

I have this Pleco, whom I have had since the beginning of my interest in this hobby. When I was just getting into aquariums my janky fish store sold me her as a clown, but after receiving an actual clown pleco its very obvious she isnt a clown, being 6/7 inches and lacking stripes. I have been told shes a common but I have grown up with commons in big big tanks as a small child, and I know what they look like and how big they get. This pleco is 3 years old, When i first got her she lived in a 55g community that has since been upgraded to a 75g. Pleco hasnt gotten bigger in about a year, making me think shes hit her expected full size.
*sorry about the messy water, it was breakfast time when i got these and some of my fish are... excitable.

Attachments

• 20220713_083059.jpg
    20220713_083059.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220713_082924.jpg
    20220713_082924.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 30

DoubleDutch

Looks like a Gibbiceps to me.

MonumentalMurderBean

Looks like a Gibbiceps to me.
Awesome. Knew she wasnt a common lol! Thanks guys, this forum never disapoints.

chromedome52

Only 8 Dorsal rays. Not any species of Pterygoplichthys, therefore not a gibbiceps. Since the common is P. pardalis, it's still not a common. Pretty sure it is a Hypostomus species, not sure which one. Hypostomus plecos used to be the Common, but the Pterygoplichthys replaced them.

Linda1234

Lovely fish but instead of growing around 3 inches it'll go 18+ inches ;) Hope you have a large aquarium.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MonumentalMurderBean
Replies
Views
LizzyCupcake
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cerberusfish
Replies