SolarMax HE Dual Fixture

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mmbrown, Jan 9, 2013.

1. MmbrownWell Known MemberMember

I am thinking of buying something off Craigslist and it comes with a light fixture that contains two SolarMax HE bulbs, each one 21watts. I don't know the length of the bulbs but they go over a 46 bowfront, which is 36 inches long, so they can't be longer than that. Listed as coming "with led moonlight and extra actinic bulb."

Basically, will this support high light plantlife? I've learned that two NO bulbs over this size tank would be low light, while two HO would be high light. But, I don't know how HE stacks up.

Edit: I've found it's basically NO. I guess the question now is would I be able to put HO bulbs in the fixture without having to mod it or anything? Thanks!

2. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

NO and HO bulbs aren't interchangeable since each output runs a different ballast. If you are looking to run high light plants with CO2 you may want to take a look at odyssea T5HO fixtures. They are pretty cheap and some seem very happy with their performance, and they are cheap. There are some people on here that use those that may be able to provide input if you wanted to go that route. At least with those you will have a new fixture and not have to buy bulbs to replace ones that aren't good for growing plants (i.e. actinic bulbs).

3. MmbrownWell Known MemberMember

Thank you :)

I don't really want to set up CO2 but I've got a whole lot of LeafZone, Flourish Comp, and Excel that is waiting anxiously to be used. Maybe I should shoot for medium light instead of high.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

There is a lot of plants that grow in just as well under medium light and there is more room for error (if that phrase fits). On my highlight tank I found out really quickly that excel stunted the growth of my fast growth stem plants when I was spot treating. Under mid to low light I don't encounter that with excel. Even if you went with a dual T5HO and ran one bulb you may be able to get a medium light level depending on the depth, and if you chose to go highlight in the future you could add the other bulb.

5. MmbrownWell Known MemberMember

Thanks! Smart thinking :) Medium it is!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice