Soil Amendments

1. Rudy Briskar Member Member

After watching many videos I have come up with a plan for my soil. I have organic planting soil which I have thoroughly sifted to remove anything that may decompose and create gas pockets. I plan on using red clay pucks and finely ground egg shells on the very bottom for iron and calcium. I also plan to mix a moderate amount of fine gravel into the soil to help with aeration. I also plan to mix a moderate amount of used coffee grounds for nitrogen, more egg shells for calcium and ground up, dried banana peels for potassium then cap it with fine river gravel. I haven't seen anything quite like this but it seems like a good plan to me. Any thoughts on this?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds like an interesting mix, I'm just a sand person though so have no idea if it'll work, hope one of our plated gurus can chime in for you. :)

3. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a waste bomb about to blow the tank up. Everything sounds good up to the red clay, which is often times used on top of soil and below sand. Egg shells, I am not sure the plants will have acess to the calcium in there short term. Then it gets weird with more egg shells, cofee grounds and specially with the banana peels. They will all have to rot before the nutrients are accessible to the plants.
    The mix sounds interesting, the execution sounds too unreal to be honest. Why dont you try composting all of that instead? Once the compost is done you could add that to the tank, cap it with clay and then with sand. Sounds safer to me altough I would let the tank run with just plants for a month without any fish in regardless.