Softshell Jackets Question

1. trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

So it seems like spring is in the air, 19C(66) and sunny here today with the next few days around 16(60) with some rain. Has me thinking about spring apparel. Was thinking about a softshell in the fall but the weather got colder so didn't pull the trigger. Who has used a softshell jacket and what are your thoughts?

2. James95 Well Known Member Member

I love my softshell North Face. I'll wear it from early October to the end of November. In the spring I wear it until the weather warms up to about 65ish (Fahrenheit).

3. trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

I have tried the Apex one I believe but I didn't like the cut of it. Found it was to short in the body.

4. James95 Well Known Member Member

Haha, that's exactly why I love mine. I don't like a real long jacket or coat.

Have you tried any made by Columbia or Patagonia? Patagonia activewear tends to be expensive, but it's well worth the long term investment. Very warm, comfortable, well cut, etc.

5. trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

I have not, I'll have to look around and see what is available. I've probably tried a Columbia
    but never seen a Patagonia here.

I was hoping it would be a bit longer, even my casual shirts that aren't long at all stick out the bottom. I wanted a cleaner look by having my jacket go down past my top. It might be my height and build as well.

6. James95 Well Known Member Member

I gotcha. Yeah, most of my shirts don't go below the bottom of my north face.

You're right. It doesn't look good when people do that. Lol

7. trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

Plus I have a short enough torso for my height I don't need to emphasize it with a short jacket. I'll look at the Patagonia website, maybe they have a dealer near by.

EDIT It seems there is one and the price isn't far off The North Face or Merrel jackets I've looked at. They are having a sale on fall gear as well so probably go take a look tomorrow.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:giggle:
    Anyone else finding this male fashion talk amusing?

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;rocker me! and I had to google softshell jackets LOL ( I had 5 girls no boys)

10. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Have you tried a Mountain Hardware soft shell?

11. James95 Well Known Member Member

Ahaha, I probably care about what I wear a bit too much. Lol

12. trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

Like I told my sister one day when she made fun of the cost of my clothes vs how cheaply she put an outfit together. "Would you date a guy who spent $10 on his outfit?" "No"

Made my point really quick.

Can't say I've heard a lady complain about a guy who put a bit of thought into his wardrobe. :;perfect

13. trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

No, can't say I have heard of them.

14. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I work in retail and we carry:

Arc'tyrx
    Patagonia
    Mountain Hardware
    Marmot
    Northface
    Columbia

I've got several softshells that I wear in the summer. If raining I layer it under my Arc'tyrx jacket. Some are fleece lined and some are not. Windbreaker too and water resistant.

Softshells are great!

Good luck finding the right one!

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Let me try on the jacket so that you can see how it should look and be worn!:;laughing

I want a leather blazer! :;santaclaus put that on your list! (photo from Photobucket Smiley, free)

Ken

Attached Files:

16. trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

How do they compare? A friend likes his Columbia one, he says it is an Omni-Tech Softshell but can't say I see one like he describes anymore.