Softball size mystery snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by cheesepuff, Jul 8, 2015.

1. cheesepuff

cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

So I'm wondering if super large mystery snails (softball size) are more valuable than average 2 inch ones. I got a number of them that are getting huge. I'm hoping to one day sell them to fund getting different types of snails. They got some time before they get that size, but it looks like it wont be too long.

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The ones that get that big are apple snails, not mystery snails. And apples eat plants.

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Those are apple snails like @Anders247 said. More than likely Pomacea insularum
    Apple snails and mystery snails are just kind of generic names for a vast species of snails. Not all mystery or apple snails are big.

And you may check into this, but I believe it is illegal to transport them across state lines. Something to keep in mind if you sell them.

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Yep it's illegal I think. Also I recall reading that they can't be legally imported into the states either so if you got yours from an actual store they're probably mystery snails and will stop growing before they get softball sized. How big are they now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

Ahhhh, monster apple snails! :eek:

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Maybe someone should look into this, but I think the only way to have them is if you breed them within the state you live in. They cannot be imported due to them being an invasive species. So yeah, where did you get yours and how big are they?

7. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I got mine from Meijier. They we're $1 a pop on sale. I got more than 10 of them. in the short less than 1 month I've have them, some have grown 2 to 3 times there original size. They don't show any signs of stopping growing either.

some are easily 2-2.5 inches (starting from less than 1 inch less than a month ago)

8. Bijou88

I did a fair amount of research on Apple/mystery snails when I got mysteries. There are a couple people who had government wildlife official types show up at their house and take their apple snails (Cana apples were the ones seized I believe) that they ordered on e bay because it's illegal to ship them. In some states it's illegal to even own them, even if they were purchased within your state. Do some googling on it.

9. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

Tank you for the clarification (get it? tank you)

It does not appear to be Illegal to own in Illinois, but shipping them across borders is illegal. It would not be the first time I was sold something and it turned out to be something else though. I'll just wait and see how much they grow.

10. Gena

I don't think those little stinkers are going to survive an Illinois winter. lol

11. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

Its in a heated tank that maintains a nice 72*F

12. Gena

I meant after being released into the wild. It's unrealistic to think that a tropical creature is going to survive the snow filled drudgery of a northern winter. This is hard to grasp for some states.

13. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

OOOooohhhh. No, thats why I was saying if for some reason I got a snail to get that big I want to get it to someone else who will take care of it.

14. Bijou88

Gena is saying that this is the reason they're illegal some places I think, because they're scared of people releasing then into the wild. It really is very unrealistic in a lot of climates. They wouldn't fare too well here either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice