Soft Rush and Japanese Blood Grass questions

gray_matter16

I have a 50g lowboy (48in L x 24in W x 12in H) tank that I recently (started 17 days ago) converted into a pond-style tank. The "land" section has a 2in layer of lava rock at the bottom, a fine mesh sheet over that, then about 5-7in of organic potting soil, then about 3 in or so of sand to cap. The variegated water celery is doing well, it's perking up/I see new growth. The Japanese blood grass and soft rush don't seem to be doing well. I just want to make sure they aren't dying, and if they are, that I respond sooner rather than lose them completely. I also know (1) I bought them mid-winter season and (2) it's only been 17 days so they may just need time to acclimate. Both grasses seem to be getting softer and browner at the bases of their stems. I don't know if they are dying or acclimating.

But I'm trying something new with the pond plants so I'm hoping someone with more experience can tell me if I need to fix something or just be patient. Thanks!!

other plants in pictures: 2 peace lilies, pothos (both seem to be doing fine)

MySquishy

“Rushes” is a broad term. But regardless of whether you have soft rush or another sub species, the rush in your pictures look absolutely fine. It’s normal for rushes to have brown-dead-crumbly “leaves” protecting the pale yellowgreen/ white base of each stem.
I’ve never *grown* them, but I gather them to make coil baskets with and I’m familiar with what they look like. ( not familiar with Japanese blood grass. It it the one or two spacings that are thinner and browner than the rest? Hard to see thru what I assume is mostly rushes. )

If you ever wanted to thin them, you can gently pull one stem at a time out of that brown husk without disturbing/ uprooting the whole plant. At least you can when they grow wild. Your substrate might be less firm.

The only plants that look at all unhealthy are these I circled. They look a bit dry. The rest look fine.

1615307944798.jpeg

1615307973413.jpeg
Your set up looks awesome by the way!

gray_matter16

MySquishy said:
“Rushes” is a broad term. But regardless of whether you have soft rush or another sub species, the rush in your pictures look absolutely fine. It’s normal for rushes to have brown-dead-crumbly “leaves” protecting the pale yellowgreen/ white base of each stem.
I’ve never *grown* them, but I gather them to make coil baskets with and I’m familiar with what they look like. ( not familiar with Japanese blood grass. It it the one or two spacings that are thinner and browner than the rest? Hard to see thru what I assume is mostly rushes. )

If you ever wanted to thin them, you can gently pull one stem at a time out of that brown husk without disturbing/ uprooting the whole plant. At least you can when they grow wild. Your substrate might be less firm.

The only plants that look at all unhealthy are these I circled. They look a bit dry. The rest look fine.
Thank you for the info on what is "healthy" and what's not! The exact listing I bought was called . Some of their stems are bending over a bit instead of standing straight up like when I first bought them was another concern of their health. Also what do you mean by "dry"? Like they aren't getting enough water? or humidity? Wondering about water because they're planted in standing water (at most 1in up the stem, and at least full roots submerged).

The white section is the JBG, the blue is the soft rush sections.

MySquishy

Ok! I see.
The individual plants I pointed out just aren’t quite as bright green as the others. The only reason I singled them out at all was because they’re the only thing that I could remotely call “unhealthy” about any of your plants. In my opinion, they’ll probably be fine. Could just be they’re still getting used to being replanted and need time for roots to begin to absorb. I wouldn’t think humidity would be a problem unless your house is really dry.

It’s normal for some of the stems to be more horizontal than vertical. In fact if they’re growing near a flowing stream or where seasonal runoff water is, they may be almost completely horizontal except for the new growth.
Especially because yours are spaced out and aren’t a thick clump yet, it’s expected for some of them to fall over and that’s fine. The wild rushes don’t all stick straight up.
Even when you have a clump that’s a few feet across, the stems near the edges are going to flop over a little. Kind of like monkey grass.

gray_matter16

MySquishy said:
Ok! I see.
The individual plants I pointed out just aren’t quite as bright green as the others. The only reason I singled them out at all was because they’re the only thing that I could remotely call “unhealthy” about any of your plants. In my opinion, they’ll probably be fine. Could just be they’re still getting used to being replanted and need time for roots to begin to absorb. I wouldn’t think humidity would be a problem unless your house is really dry.

It’s normal for some of the stems to be more horizontal than vertical. In fact if they’re growing near a flowing stream or where seasonal runoff water is, they may be almost completely horizontal except for the new growth.
Especially because yours are spaced out and aren’t a thick clump yet, it’s expected for some of them to fall over and that’s fine. The wild rushes don’t all stick straight up.
Even when you have a clump that’s a few feet across, the stems near the edges are going to flop over a little. Kind of like monkey grass.
Today I officially called it quits on the grasses. Neither species had anything remotely close to new growth and the individual blades were grey and soft enough at the base to be easily pulled off from the base/roots. I removed all the grasses and will do more research. On the bright side, the peace lily is doing great and I experimented with mint which is taking off like crazy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom