soapy tank :(

gammerus

I just got dishsoap in the tank, now while I wait for my betta to hopefully recover how do I clean the tank? can I just boil the rocks and fake plants?

darkwolf29a

First thing, naturally, is to get the fish out, if you haven't already...I'm assuming you have.

Secondly, unplug the filter. If you've gotten any soap in it, throw the wheel/media away. If you can clean any sponges completely, then they should be ok, but I wouldn't mess with the biowheel or filter floss.

I would:
1) Drain the tank completely.
2) Remove everything and separate it.
3) Boil the rocks.
4) Spray out the tank until you can't see any bubbles.
5) Put the decorations into a colendar/sifter/what ever you call drainer thingee, and run a bunch of water over it.

Then, I would put everything back together, minus the fish, and run for a few days looking for soap bubbles, etc

As for the fish, you might try putting a bit of prime into his/her water, to help with the slime coat. Also, depending on what bowl it's in now, I would consider moving it to something bigger, since it'll be there for a few days.

Just my .02

gammerus

What is prime?

He has survived the night, but the largest thing I have to offer him in a 2liter vase.

darkwolf29a

Prime is a medication for fish. It helps to ensure that they have a goos slime coat. It helps reduce stress, etc. It's good during times like this.

Honestly, the vase is better than something smaller. I know bettas don't move around much, but they are much less stressed when they have a bit of room.

gammerus

Well I put Nereas in Thomas's tank, Thomas doesn't like being in a vase but I think Nereas needs it a little more than he does :-\

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom