Soap In Tank 110 Gallon Tank 

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all, its been a while since ive been on. I have a question, I was hired to set up a tank for one of my uncles aquaintences (sp?) in his autoparts shop, and when i got there and started sorting all the equipment out, i went to get the dirt from the inside, out, with some water and it starting sudding, it turns out the guy cleaned the inside with soap, "a little" soap, apparently, i tried my best to get it out, but when all you have is a 5 gallon bucket and no near drains to completely get all the suddy watter out, its a pain, I dont know the exact volume of the tank, Its 72x18 and the height is somewhere between 20 and 23 inches so im guessing its somewhere between 110 and 125 gallons, anyways, i got everything set up and running, and when i was filling up the tank to the top it wasnt sudding anymore. My question is, how badly is him cleaning the inside with soap going to affect his stock? My credibility looks bad if something goes wrong cause its in the front of his shop and fish start dying cause of it. He paid me a pretty decent amout ($100, talk about a score, doing something you love for cash, haha) and i dont want this to haunt either of us in the future. I transfered a filter cartridge from my grandmothers cichlid tank into his tank and were getting ready to put fish in. Thanks for any advice and help. =]

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no!!!!!!!

Hello Annuez. This is a tough one. Personally I wouldn't go out and buy any expensive fish to start with. If by chance you have any feeder fish that you may have raised yourself, (Feeder fish from pet stores are more likely to carry disease than feeders you've raised yourself) I would consider adding a couple and see what happens. Sadly I think this is about the only way you're going to know for certain if any soap residue remains.

I don't mean to sound like feeder fishes lives aren't important because they all are, but sometimes you just have to take a risk and I suggest doing it the cheapest way possible.

Let's see what other responses you receive.

Best of luck!

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm with ken's line of thought here also. I have a recently set up tank and I think one of my kids got some soap residue in it (lid was off), because it had some bubble buildup on the top of the water. I did a big water change, and scooped out any bubbles off the top with a cup, waited a few hours, and didn't see any residue 'sheen' on the top of the water, and no lasting bubbles (filter was running). At that point I put in a few test fish, and watched them closely for the next few days. Luckily they turned out fine, and everything has been well since.

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd have wiped down the inside of the tank with bleach and then filled and rinsed it out completely several times.... then filled it with water and let the tank cycle. I'd be sure to explain to the guy what the problem was with cleaning anything that has any contact with an aquarium with ANY kind of soap. Then I'd start with a feeder fish like Ken said..... Best of luck.

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
im digging the feeder fish idea, idk how much for it he will be though, im sure if he wants his tank pristine he will listen. He wants to stock that entire tank with nothing but neons for the sole fact that he thinks the actinic light in the fixture will make them glow, idk where he got that from but who am i to argue, eh? haha. Not to mention how cool would a MASSIVE school of neons look in a tank that size? I was actually going to post another thread about stocking this tank so if you want to take a look at that one as well. Thanks for all your input and advice. I have to say, actually getting paid to set up someones huge tank was pretty fun, kinda tough when your doing it yourself though. How often do you get to jam out to gnarly tunes while playing fantasy island with a massive tank? pure bliss. haha.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It really sounds like you've done the best you can do with this tank, which is no easy task for a tank so large. You've done a great job no matter how it turns out, remember that.

I have actinic lighting in my bowfront and it does help the colors of the fish come out. Is he talking about neon tetras? I've known many people to refer to glo-fish as neons because they come in the various neon colors.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads