So which apistos are more/least aggressive?

Mii

I'm planning to put an apisto in my community tank, and I've heard some species tend to be more aggressive than others, so want to pick one that'll be less aggressive so it'll get along with everyone. I'm also only going to keep a single. My main concern is if it will bully the honey gouramis. Last time I had an apisto with honeys they did fine and left each other alone, but I never actually figured out what species I had I'm thinking it was some kind of hybrid. So what are the least aggressive species that will probably do well with other fish, and what are the most aggressive species that should probably be avoided?

TClare

Just in my experience of two species, my agassizii is aggressive, the cacatuoides are not. All are males, wild caught. I don’t know if this is typical though.

Mii

Just in my experience of two species, my agassizii is aggressive, the cacatuoides are not. All are males, wild caught. I don’t know if this is typical though.
I think Cory also mentioned something about agassizii being aggressive so they're probably not the best for my community tank, although maybe I'll keep a pair of fire reds in a separate tank though because they're beautiful fish.

Linda1234

Nijjensi are suppose to be very territorial so that would make them aggressive if you wander into their territory. borelli have a loud bark but do not appear to be that aggressive. hongsloi are not docile but not as bad as nijjensi (imho). my cockatoo males were gentle but the females have a mean bite.

Mii

So we're avoiding Nijjinsi and Agassizii, and cacatuoides and Borellii are probably safe?

Flyfisha

I have seen almost no aggressive behaviour from any of the apistogramma available in Australia to other species and found them to be timid at feeding time. Not ideal around large hungry tetras etc.

They all seem to snap at members of their own species and same sex.

When a pair is trying to breed or even just playing at breeding they are extremely aggressive to all other species. Including fish five times the females size.

You asked about keeping just a male on his own.
I believe the cacatuoides males ether have strong colour from their genetics or they don’t . I have no experience with wild caught fish but have raised a few generations of local Australian fish including cacs
7A8F3B45-FF24-4AC8-95A3-3DD4EB848B66.png

Leeman75

I'm going to confirm what is being said regarding Cacatuoides and Borellii. I have the former in a community tank together and have never seen any issues at all. The Borellii are super chill as well. I can't even say that I've seen the "bark" mentioned above.

Another part to this, at least the Honeys that I've kept, have stayed mid to top of the tank, whereas, my Apistos typically only rise in the tank when being fed. The rest of the time, they lay low.

Mii

Not ideal around large hungry tetras etc.
Would they do ok with my little school of black neons though? Thinking maybe I'd feed some sinking pellets and flakes in hopes that the other fish go for the flakes along the surface allowing the pellets to reach the apisto?

Leeman75

Would they do ok with my little school of black neons though? Thinking maybe I'd feed some sinking pellets and flakes in hopes that the other fish go for the flakes along the surface allowing the pellets to reach the apisto?
They should be fine around those, especially with some sinking pellets. I have had a pair with 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Neon Tetras, and a random Cherry Barb, and they've done fine. Two different types of food makes it easier for sure.

Flyfisha

Agreed. Black neons are fine.

Mii

How aggressive or peaceful are panduro and macmasteri? Just wanna know about my various options before I make a purchase.

Flyfisha

I have had both of those apistogramma and again saw no aggressive behaviour to other species, even at feeding time. In fact it’s the apistogramma that are shy about attacking the food.
The Macmasteri can be a bit boring to look at compared to some species. But we all have different tastes, my wife likes the look . To me they look like common “red fin “/ English perch.

It is often said about betta that each fish has its own personality. I have seen different behaviour from individual BN pleco when kept on their own in similar tanks. It’s likely apistogramma are no different?

Linda1234

panduro are the same complex to nijjensi so i presume they are similar behavior. Don't know about macmasteri. Also if you want your apisto to breed and raise frys then you either need white water fishes (cockatoo and borelli are examples) or ro water (unless you have very very soft tap water). Also you want to avoid tetra (including black neon) if you want the apisto to have success raising frys; instead look at pencil fishes. If you are just keeping a male for decoration then tetra are fine.

TClare

To be honest I don’t think any lone male will be aggressive to tetras and the like, only to other cichlids. My agassizii did not bother tetras and pencil fish when they were in the same tank with him, and they did not bother him, but he chases the festivums, and the other apistos who I had to move, and some young Cichlasomas I had for a while. He is also not shy at all and doesn’t not stick to the bottom of the tank. The cacatuoides do prefer the bottom and love to hide in caves and hollow logs, however they are not shy despite being wild, and come out when they think there is food around.

Mii

panduro are the same complex to nijjensi so i presume they are similar behavior. Don't know about macmasteri. Also if you want your apisto to breed and raise frys then you either need white water fishes (cockatoo and borelli are examples) or ro water (unless you have very very soft tap water). Also you want to avoid tetra (including black neon) if you want the apisto to have success raising frys; instead look at pencil fishes. If you are just keeping a male for decoration then tetra are fine.
I'm planning on keeping a single one in my community tank with the aforementioned tetras, and then also breeding some in another tank. I'm thinking I'll keep a more peaceful species in my community, and maybe try breeding Agassizii because I really like them.

yukondog

I have five types of apisto's and the Borellii are the most chilled and there in with eight black neon's with no problem, I use the blk. neon's to help control with fry population. When I want/need to breed them there put into a breeding tank. Be careful with breeding, in my case once they start they dont stop and it's very easy to get covered up in them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mudminnow
  • Question
Replies
Views
QCAquaholic
Replies
Views
JaksAquatics
  • Question