So What Should I Do?

1. designer Initiate Member

I just tested by water with the API testing kit and my numbers are all over the place. I started a new tank February 3rd and here are my current numbers (with 5 danios in the tank)
    High PH range: sky high this week at 8.8
    Ammonia: .50 although it was at 0 last week
    Nitrite & nitrate are both at 0

I have been doing daily water changes for the past 2 weeks at about 25% and using Prime.
    Why are my numbers fluctuating so much? Am I still not cycled? What should I do? thank you!

2. escapay Well Known Member Member

Does not look like you are cycled... you need 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and need some nitrates.

Is this the tank in your aquarium info?

When did you add the danios? It says you had 3 platies - did they die?

As long as your pH doesn't drive up and down the scale but stays at the 8.8 - less stress will come to your fish.

What were your readings before?

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Your ph does seem a bit too high, but that could just be because your tank is cycling. During cycling ph can shift all over the place.

I can't remember all that you had done with your tank before 2 weeks ago, but it appears now that you basically just started cycling it "properly" (or started over?)two weeks ago. If thatis the case, then your about where one would expect you to be into the cycling process at this point.

You are now in the phase where ammonia starts to build, providing food for the bacteria that will consume ammonia (once it develops). This can take about 3 week +/-

Once that bacteria forms, your ammonia will zero out and nitrites will rise for about 3 weeks providing food so that the nitrite consuming bacteria will develop. Once that bacteria develops your nitries will zero out and you'll start seeing nitrates. Once nitrates start to show up it's time to start dancing :;banaman:;banaman:;banaman because you'll be cycled.

And yes, I know that cycling is slow and frustrating! Hang in there and try to be patient.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

It is so hard to be patient I know. I am waiting for one of my tanks to be cycled and it has been way more than 10 weeks. But, once it is cycled, jd is right, it is so nice not to have to do constant water changes and to always have those stable readings. Be patient and hang on. It is a long ride. :;wv