so what other fish?

1. justme1976 Initiate Member

So on the 15th I upgraded to a 29 gallon tank and after a few days the store tested the water and gave me the ok to move my fish so right now I have

3 corys (not sure what kind my albino ones died)
    1 betta
    5 red eye tetras

so what else can I have in there?

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

First off, I would take the betta out. Pretty much everyone will agree that bettas and communities do not mix well. The slow-moving betta is generally too much of a temptation for the faster-swimming fish (especially the schoolers) to target. Even if the betta isn't harassed, the stress of being with faster-moving fish is generally too much for the betta to handle and he'll die from stress-related causes. Speaking from experience here.

I would definitely add more cories. They seem to be happiest with four or more.

What kind of fish do you like? You could have another school of medium tetras (the same size or smaller than the red eyes) and a centerpiece fish, but what those particular fish are depends entirely upon what you like.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would think the same about the betta, unless he has been in a community tank his whole life and is just one of those laid back betas. That in mind, working around him can be a bit interesting, I would avoid anything with long flowing fins as he may think its something to attack. Also keep in mind that at any time he could decide to get very territorial and go Betta on you.

4. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

It's not the other fish I'd be worried about, to be honest. I'd be more worried about the betta being picked on and attacked by the other fish. I've tried a male betta in a (large) community tank twice. Both times they were extremely laid-back males who couldn't have cared less about their tank mates. Both times I ended up with an extremely stressed, then dead male betta within six months. It just isn't worth it, IME and IMHO. :;dk

5. Heather12404 Member Member

I also have a 29G.
    Cories prefer to be in schools of at least 6, and as far as what type of get...to me it depends on the color of your substrate. I have black gravel and I don't like albino cories because of their pink eyes, so I got panda cories - love them!
    I also really love the orange flame tetras and harlequin rasboras. I especially like that they do not have the same body shape. The orange flame tetras are really pretty being bright yellow in the front and bright orange in the back.
    The harlequin rasboras were not my favorite at first, but they are now. They have this gorgeous copper color and a black porkchop. Plus I love watching them swim back and forth in a group.
    As far as a centerpiece fish...I have a few. A dwarf gourami, a german blue ram, and 2 gold rams. I love my DG because he's a beautiful bright powder blue. But if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't get him...he's too much of a punk/snot/brat.
    I have fallen in love with the colors and personalities of my rams! They are always watching me and are the first ones waiting for food. If I put my finger up to the tank they actually come right up to it. They are awesome!
    The rams and cories (especially panda cories) have been said to be sensitive to water conditions so make sure you have a cycled tank and can maintain stable water conditions.
    Just thought I would share my thoughts with you. I hope I helped in some way.
    ~Heather

6. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Heather's stocking idea is good...however, it wouldn't work with a betta. Gouramis and bettas are related and won't tolerate living together because they are both territorial and both inhabit the same area of the tank. A 29gal isn't big enough for them to get away from each other.

Harlequin rasbora are some of my favorite schooling fish EVER!! I, too, wasn't a fan when I first got them, but I soon grew to love them. I was so sad when I lost mine in my 55gal. Hopefully I'll be able to incorporate a school of them into either my 55gal or my 20gL this summer.

7. justme1976 Initiate Member

Swimmy (the betta) has always had tanks mates.

I will get a few more corys I like them.

all of them lol I would like to get ones that have a touch more color though

disclaimer: my 11 yr old named all the fish lol

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum.

:animal0068:If you would be so kind, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This will aid others with any responses they may have.

To access the Profile, click on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Aquarium Info. Be sure to hit SAVE Changes at the bottom of the page when you are done.

Do you have a test kit of your own? If not, I recommend the API (liquid) Master Test Kit so that you do not have to rely on what the Fish Store tells you. Note: paper test strips can be difficult to read and may be unreliable.
    http://www.kensfish.com/product1299.html

Best wishes for your tank and fish!

Ken:animal0028:

9. Heather12404 Member Member

My original post was written assuming the betta would not be in the tank. I probably should have written that somewhere in my original post....sorry about that.
    I tried a betta in my 29G, with my DG. Things were totally fine for months....and then my betta changed his mind about the DG. So my betta is now in a 10G. He does have tankmates: 6 neon tetras, 4 male endlers, 2 purple mystery snails, and approx. 10 red cherry shrimp. He ignores everyone and everyone leaves him alone. So it works for my betta.
    I would agree with everyone else to remove the betta from the 29G. Get him a 5G or a 10G.

10. justme1976 Initiate Member

Yes I got a test kit its the same one you listed which is what the fish store also used.

I have since re-homed my betta as the tetras were beginning to chase him.

I have noticed the tetras will chase the corys too at feeding time esp if I am feeing the pellets for the corys is that typical?

also my daughter really wants a red tail shark and Im reading conflicting info on it so is that a fish we could have or no?