So what is SMALL anyway

  • Thread starter

genie

Well Known Member
Messages
888
Reaction score
3
Points
178
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi All--
I have been reading about small and large aquariums. What is the cut-off for "small" aquariums? Small and Large are relative terms. Just thought I would ask and see what everyone has to say. Thanks!!
 

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Messages
926
Reaction score
2
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
For me small is 30 gallons LOL. I like to move up in gallins instead of down.
 

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,260
Reaction score
9
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
inuyasha_lover_21 said:
For me small is 30 gallons LOL. I like to move up in gallins instead of down.
Same with me, but I can only afford smaller tanks at the moment. And also, space is an issue.

Genie- for me, a 50 gallon tank is too small to hold all the fish I wish to have.
Tom
 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Messages
22,864
Reaction score
120
Points
518
Experience
More than 10 years
I have Cherry Shrimp in a 5 gallon tank and then they graduate all teh way up to 75 gallon? Would love to have a 250G one of these days.
Carol
 

orangeson

New Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Points
156
i would think that 5 gallon tank is small and i would say a 10 gallon is med and a 20 gallon is large and anything over a 20 gallon to be extra large and so forth lol , i know a lot of people cant afford large tanks or the ones that can doesnt have the space for them i want to say something i know most people do not agree with this but my two sisters both have their cichlid in a 5 gallon tank , one has two 5 inch jack dempseys in one 5 gallon tankl had them in there since they were babies and they are a year old , my other sister has one red zebra africain cichlid 4 inches in her 5 gallon tank for a year i know the africian doest get over 4 inches so the 5 gallon and the 1 gallon per inch rule would work fine for that fish now the jack dempseys would get up to 8inches so i see that being a problem years to come sorry to bring this up but wanted to know what others thought of this
 

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Messages
926
Reaction score
2
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
putting cichlids in 5gal tanks is like me shoving someone in a cage thats half the size they are and making them live in it for years to come. Eventually they will need a bigger tank.
 

Guzalot

Valued Member
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Experience
More than 10 years
It's all relative I suppose. To me, less than 10 gallon is small, 10-40 gallon is medium and 40+ is large. Right now, I just don't have the room for a large tank in my house. When I do have the space I plan on buying a 75 gallon or larger tank, but I'm enjoying the two tanks I have.
 

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Messages
2,670
Reaction score
3
Points
198
Guzalot said:
It's all relative I suppose.  To me, less than 10 gallon is small, 10-40 gallon is medium and 40+ is large.  Right now, I just don't have the room for a large tank in my house.  When I do have the space I plan on buying a 75 gallon or larger tank, but I'm enjoying the two tanks I have. 
I'm with Guzalot. Anything smaller than 10 gallons is small IMO.
 

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Messages
926
Reaction score
2
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm saving up for the ultimate tanks that I want. 1 if them is a 350 gallon that I love and the other one is a 1,000 gallon tank that I really really really love.
 

Icicle

Valued Member
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Points
166
For me..
<10 gallon = Small
20-40Gal = Medium
50+ Gal = Large
100+Gal = XLarge
 

Guzalot

Valued Member
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Experience
More than 10 years
inuyasha_lover_21 said:
I'm saving up for the ultimate tanks that I want. 1 if them is a 350 gallon that I love and the other one is a 1,000 gallon tank that I really really really love.
Wow! 1000 gallons. Do you actually have the space for a tank that big? That would certainly make an impressive display!
 

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
4
Points
198
Genie, I feel 10 is super small, for me it is too hard to keep the tank stable this small. Little changes translate into big problems before you even notice.

So.. I say small is 20-30 gal
Med. 55-75
Lg 100-180
X Lg up from there

Of course if you use $$$ as the measuring stick I think you can help yourself out by getting lots of items on-line, or in the paper used, and a small investment can mean you can afford a much larger set-up.

As for 1000 gal tank, can your floor really support five tons all in one spot? Most homes are not rated for this kind of load!

Fish in the Frozen North
 

Guzalot

Valued Member
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Experience
More than 10 years
susitna-flower said:
Genie, I feel 10 is super small, for me it is too hard to keep the tank stable this small. Little changes translate into big problems before you even notice.
I guess it all comes down to one's definition of "small". For me the relative size of a tank is measured in it's footprint (ie: how much space does it take up in my living room), not the maintenance that is needed.
 

starshine

New Member
Messages
33
Reaction score
1
Points
156
Geez...well, I think my 10 is pretty small. My 2.5 only houses one fish, and to a betta who comes home with me in a little cup, it's like having a condo, so I'm not really counting that. I would say my 30 is on the smaller side of medium. When our house has a finished basement, my husband promised me that I could have as many tanks as I could fit! Ha! I don't think he understands the extent of that comment! : I would love to have a few truly large tanks (greater than 100 g.)
 

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Messages
926
Reaction score
2
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah Our new house can hold it.

I am going to have support beams underneath to hold the tank. I can also get my girlfriends uncle to help because he is a contractor. Its going to be the best display tank and I am defiantly going to be showing it off. ;D
 

Guzalot

Valued Member
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Experience
More than 10 years
starshine said:
When our house has a finished basement, my husband promised me that I could have as many tanks as I could fit! Ha! I don't think he understands the extent of that comment! : I would love to have a few truly large tanks (greater than 100 g.)
LOL! I'm with you!

When I get my new house, a 75 gallon+ ( with emphasis on the "+") tank is the first thing in the works. Beautiful Discus, here I come!
 

Guzalot

Valued Member
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Experience
More than 10 years
inuyasha_lover_21 said:
Yeah Our new house can hold it.

I am going to have support beams underneath to hold the tank. I can also get my girlfriends uncle to help because he is a contractor. Its going to be the best display tank and I am defiantly going to be showing it off. ;D
If you have the space (and time) to pull off a 1000g, go for it!


That's not sarcasm, that's jealousy. The only thing I ask is that you post pics. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that I wish I had a tank like that!
 

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
4
Points
198
starshine said:
Geez...well, I think my 10 is pretty small.  My 2.5 only houses one fish, and to a betta who comes home with me in a little cup, it's like having a condo, so I'm not really counting that.  I would say my 30 is on the smaller side of medium.  When our house has a finished basement, my husband promised me that I could have as many tanks as I could fit!  Ha!  I don't think he understands the extent of that comment!   :  I would love to have a few truly large tanks (greater than 100 g.) 
Aren't husbands grand. Maybe he isn't seeing life like you are, I bet you are already placing those tanks in your mind. Are you having a say in HOW the basement is finished? If it were me I would have a room built that the tank could go in the front, a door into the side behind the tank, and room behind the tank to access the filtration system! That would be the ultimate, it would even be the cat's meow for that 1000 gal tank. I saw a picture of a big one like that, supported on concrete blocks under ends and center spanned with steel beams. Looked very strong! Then the tank was built in place and the walls finished after to make it appear built right in....well I guess you could say it was. :

Fish in the Frozen North
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom