So what do you know about the stomach bug?

1. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

**WARNING** Do not proceed if you have a weak stomach!

My family has been passing around the stomach bug since December 12. I have 6 siblings, so it can take a looong time to get through everyone. So far me, my brother, and my baby sister are the only ones who have escaped (thank you, God, for that blessing!).

I'm wondering if there are any doctors on here, because I have a question.

When I was little, I got the stomach bug just like everyone else. However, I think the last time I threw up was when I was 7. Maybe it was 8. I'm almost 15 now. I'm wondering if it possible to somehow develop an immunity? I Googled it and read that it is pretty much like the regular flu and you can't really develop a permanent immunity since there are so many strains. However, it also said that the bacteria bind to reseptors in your small intestine, and if you happen to not have the receptors, you don't get sick. Is it possible to somehow lose the receptors? I find it extremely hard to believe that I haven't caught the stomach bug in 7 years, especially since my family has it about every year.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'd LOVE to know that I'm immune!

2. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

I don't believe it would be immune, but you would be less likely to catch it if you have a strong immune system and have good hygiene. I hardly ever get sick whenever my family gets something, and overall, I'm pretty healthy.

My brother on the other hand, doesn't like to bathe or eat the things that are good for him, and therefore puts him at risk by weakening his immune system. I don't think there's immunity, like i said, but susceptibility is low in a healthy person. like our fish. If they have a healthy immune system (LFS fish) and have been cared for, they are less likely to succumb to disease, whereas fish from chain stores (Petsmart) will be more inclined to get something, because of their weakened immune systems.

I'm no doctor, but that's what I believe in. :)

3. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

Well, I do wash my hands a lot... I used to get HORRIBLE chapped hands when I was little. Someone told me I washed them too much. LOL

I've been taking vitamins C and D for awhile to help strengthen my immune system so I won't get the flu, but then again, so have all of my siblings.

I'm also kind of paranoid about eating/drinking after anyone else. I mean ANYONE. I also recently started using a seperate toothpaste tube than my brother & sisters because I realised that you brush your teeth, rinse off your toothbrush, and then the bery next day, wipe the bristles (that were in your mouth) on the nozzle of the toothpaste tube! And then the next person does it, gets your germs, and picks up some of their own! So... I got my own tube and have been hiding it from my siblings! LOL

Another reason I think I might have some kind of weird immunity is because sometimes before when my family has the bug I have felt awful but never actually vomited. Could it be that my body reacts differently than most people's? But then. why did I vomit when I was younger? I'm confused now...

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I know quite a bit about many of the things we call "the stomach bug."

First of all is that there are many of them, and while it's possible that a person could become immune to one of them, it's extremely unlikely that someone would become immune to all of them.

However, as TFA said, healthy immune system and good hygiene could definitely make it unlikely that you'd get sick. It's been seven or eight years since I've thrown up, and it was four or five before that.

There is also something to be said for periodic exposure to low levels of the viruses and bacteria that cause the different types of stomach illnesses. Thanks to hygiene, knowledge, and food safety laws, we are very rarely exposed to much of any of these. Our bodies lose their resistance, and so when we are exposed, we're more likely to get sick.
    I do not mean that hygiene and food safety laws are bad things. Both keep us from being exposed to dangerous levels and to stuff that our bodies will never adapt to. However, I think that one of the reasons I tend not to get any sort of stomach bug is because I'm not as religious about taking care with the food I eat as I am with the food that I prepare for other people (I'm willing to risk myself by eating a slightly expired egg still a bit runny, but I won't risk a customer or a friend in the same way... Customers don't get expired product at all, friends get offered options)

5. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

I just found a Wikipedia article that said that "Blood types B and AB can confer partial protection against symptomatic infection."! My mom is type A, so could I be AB? I don't know anything about blood types! I also don't know what my dad is.

6. Tavel Well Known Member Member

I've found that people often poison themselves with their cooking, or from restaurants with sometimes questionable handling techniques.

It's not enough to make you sick for more than a few hours, but it will make you more likely to get a secondary infection. It's like lack of sleep won't normally make you sick...but it WILL help you to get sick if you're exposed to something else.

I have a "sensitive" system and have found some simple ways to avoid illness, which should help you out.

1. Don't eat fresh fruits and veggies from restaurants (and don't eat things that TOUCHED the fresh fruits and veggies either...like the meat from a salad.)
    2. Treat raw meat like a haz-mat. I see SO many people handle cooked meat with the same utensils used for raw meat (tongs, plates, etc)...I even see them wipe raw meat drippings on the kicten towel, then use the SAME towel to dry the clean dishes and the countertops!

The bacteria can't live on surfaces for more than 6 hours or so...but what if someone uses the dishes or the countertop before then?

You probably don't do the cooking in your house so you can't control that. But maybe you can stick to packaged foods for a couple of weeks until everything passes.

Again, this is just to avoid a little hiccup that would open you up to secondary infection.

7. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

Well, I think I have it. :( I haven't actually thrown up, but last night I was running a low fever and today I have a very upset stomach. My past experience is that the stomach bug seems to affect me this way instead of throwing up.

8. haedra Well Known Member Member

Oh, this is so me (the first sentence, anyway). I am a bleach queen whenever I cook meat. Bleach everywhere afterwards!