So Today At Walmart........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BornThisWayBettas, Jul 27, 2015.

1. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

So today, I went to Walmart, and decided to glance at the fish section to see if they had the tank I was wanting for my new betta that I fell in love with and got earlier this month. Anyways, they didn't have the tank, but of course, I had to take a quick glance at the fish, which yes, they still sell them at my Walmart. So of course, I saw the bettas in their tiny cups, one of which had a large collection of waste at the bottom of his cup, and then I moved onto the other fish. What I saw was horrible, dead fish everywhere! It looked like a fish horror movie! I was expecting it, but it was still heartbreaking. And then I saw it. A betta, in with the goldfish tank. Huh? I don't know why he was in there, and I think there was dead/dying fish in that tank too, but that wasn't my focus right then. A betta in a goldfish tank??? I even double/triple checked to make sure my eyes weren't playing games with me! I decided that I had had enough, and was going to do what I could to fix this, which isn't much really. When I got to the register, I asked to file a complaint. And the lady there is like, "Oh, you're mad!" And I'm thinking "Well, yeah........ there are dead/dying/sick poor, innocent little creatures back there......." And then I said, "Well, I mean, I'm a fish keeper myself, so......." So she called someone else over to the register for me to complain to, and I told them that they had dying fish in their fish tanks and that there were also fish in their tanks that weren't supposed to be there (none of them should be there, imo). But the lady that was called over to the register said that she was going to have it fixed, so that when I come back, there will be no more dead fish in the tanks and the fish that shouldn't be in the wrong tanks (like the betta), would also be fixed. Now, I really, really hope she'll make good on her word. Fingers crossed!

Anyways haha, just wanted to share my story with you guys! :) P.S. This comment is not meant to be any offense to Walmart, it's employees, or customers. :)

2. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Hopefully they follow through. Sadly, to work in the pets section of Walmart isn't a job that is given because of any pet or fish knowledge. To most Walmarts, this section is just another area to keep stocked. The section is a preferred one because they normally don't have to work in other sections.

I hope your comments did cause management to start making changes, but I won't hold my breath.

Sounds terrible. I am glad our walmart stores don't carry fish.

3. OP
    OP
    BornThisWayBettas

Yeah, and it's the Walmart that's the closest to me. :/ I don't know, maybe I should take note of the employees' names that I talk to, that way when I go back in I can find the same ones and inquire if they've done anything about the fish. Either way, I hope at least the dead fish are removed and the betta is given his own space, as I don't know what's worse, living in a goldfish tank filled with poop and dead fish and hardly being able to move, or living in a cup of water made very dirty by your own waste. It just seems so sad. :(

4. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I went to Petsmart yesterday, and in the goldfish tank, there were more dead ones than live ones :/ And they were all piled in the same spot, which leads me to believe the employees may have done that instead of removing them!! :mad:

5. OP
    OP
    BornThisWayBettas

Near the filter?

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

i went to petsmart, saw a dead gourami that looked like it's been there a while. went back the following week and it was still there! smh....

7. ClearEyes

No, they were like piled on the side of the tank. It clearly looked like someone had swept them all there and just left them.

8. OP
    OP
    BornThisWayBettas

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that. :/ Pretty sure they were all "swept" to one side at Walmart too. :(

9. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

Good job bringing it to their attention, btwb.

10. OP
    OP
    BornThisWayBettas

Thanks. :) Now, I just hope they carry through and at the very least, keep the tanks clean and the fish at least somewhat healthier.

11. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

you should go by and do a surprise inspection. they might recognize you and it will force them to always keep the tanks maintained for fear of getting more complaints. :D

12. OP
    OP
    BornThisWayBettas

Well, I plan to go back eventually, but I think my mom's going to be going there soon, so maybe she can report what it looks like! :)

13. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Mom the Spy!

I'd write strongly worded emails to the store and to corporate. Over and over. Until you get responses and see changes made. Post on their Facebook and Twitter accounts. Annoy them into submission. And yeah take names next time for sure.

14. OP
    OP
    BornThisWayBettas

Strongly worded as in.......? Yeah, but I'm worried they'll just get annoyed and block me out as a spammer or something. :/

15. Geoff

No not swear words. Just strongly worded. Forceful yet mature. It works.

16. OP
    OP
    BornThisWayBettas

Oh, okay haha! Well, I don't want to start bugging them online until I see what became of their fish section, hopefully, it's at least somewhat better.

17. Geoff

Yeah if you go back and things are still atrocious, I'd go the letter route. A friend of mine writes strongly worded letters to large grocery store chains and restaurants because of their lack of gluten-free etc products (her son is allergic to everything). They all now offer such products. Whole aisles in the grocery store now! Haha

18. OP
    OP
    BornThisWayBettas

Really?? Wow, that's awesome!

19. ClearEyes

Walmart might be a tough cookie to crack, since they're such a giant, soulless corporation that probably regards the fish the same as a T-shirt on the rack. Maybe next time, take pictures of the tanks to add to your strongly-worded letters. Maybe it'll at least improve conditions at your local store...improving conditions at one store is better than nothing!

20. Geoff

Send the pictures to your local newspaper. Shame them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice