So tired of breed discrimination

1. slashgash Member Member

Today I took my three dogs to a dog park. Everything was fine for awhile until a little boy went up to pet my pit bull/boxer mix. The mother ran over screaming "dont you dare touch that beast" i tried to explain to her that Storm is just a puppy and will not hurt a fly but she wouldnt stop screaming about how "dogs like that should not be in public". Well, not long after that I was asked to leave and not bring her back to the park.

[​IMG]

Doesn't she look just terrifying? She's 3 months old...

2. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

awww what a sweeeet face!!! love it. yeah but pitts are only aggressive if they are made to be that way. any dog can be made to be aggressive. she's a baby...you pretty much have a clean slate with her, and she'll probably be a great little girl. at least this is my opinion =]

3. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Wow.
    Just, wow.
    That's not right. I don't care if it's a full-sized pit bull. At dog parks, I presume that the owners know that their dog is socialized well enough to not be dangerous in public. And frankly, I'm more afraid of the little yip dogs than I am of a pit bull.
    Is the dog park privately owned? If it's publicly owned, is there city ordinance disallowing the presence of certain breeds of dog?

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Those wrinkles *.*

Breed discrimination and BLS is a bunch of poop. I'm not even going to get started on it, since once I get going, I'll never stop -_-

5. slashgash Member Member

Its a privately owned dog park. Ill be taking her to the public dog park from now on. The reason why ive been going to this one is because they have a large fountain for the dogs.

6. TayJay76 Member Member

Aww how sweet. My freind has a huge 150 pound pit bull, the nicest dog I have ever met. That's really screwed up, she should have been slapped, how could you scream at that adorable face. It's not right that you got kicked out.

7. slashgash Member Member

Yea. It just ticks me off. Especially since her precious Dachsund was snarling and snapping at any dog that got near him. And my puppy is banned.

8. toosie Well Known Member Member

Some breeds of dogs are more difficult to handle than others, and some people have no business owning a dog. The combination of these two things is what gives certain breeds a bad name. A number of years ago I owned a pitbull/rottweiler/blue heeler cross so really just a mutt and a good mutt at that but people reacted very similar when I took her out in public. It is a shame and your puppy looks just about vicious enough to lick the leg off a mouse.

Really though, people in general have no idea how to approach a strange dog and if a dog is showing signs of nervousness, they ignore it. Instead of explaining to the child how to approach the dog and ask the owner if it is ok, they do the screaming act. I appreciate when people ask if it is ok if they pet my dog and don't attempt an immediate hug even though I know he wouldn't do more than lick their face. Unfortunately too many people lack this level of respect and seem unaware that a lot of dogs, big or small, pitbull or poodle may instantly go on protect mode when people are rapidly approaching their master/them or other members of their family.

It's not just the fish world that people are uneducated about, dogs rate right up there too, among other things.

9. slashgash Member Member

Yea, I also appreciate when people ask to pet my dogs.

Ive been in a vet office and saw a kid go up behind a golden retriever and pet it and the golden retriever turned around and took a chunk out of the kids arm. If it was a pit bull that had done that all heck wouldve broken loose.

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Then only time I don't ask to pet a dog (that I don't know) is when I'm at PetSmart and am assaulted by a puppy LOL I never pet a dog that looks un-easy, though, unless it body language tells me it just needs a bit reassuring. But I seem to have the magic touch with dogs, and they all love me :;nin2

Don't you just love how if one breed does something, its plastered all over the news, but if another does it, no one cares? >=(

11. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;bI have a Great Dane, a Boxer, a pitbull and two small dogs. They are the sweetest things in the world. But when people see me on the street with them they turn and run. I actually had a man jump on the roof of car and scream at me. So, I started walking them 5:00 am in the morning so people didn't hastle me. When people actually take the time to get to know my dogs they usually end up rolling around in the grass with them getting slobbered on. Everyone always thinks my Boxer is this vicious Pitbull. I get very tired of explaining that my dogs are harmless. I do not behave the same way when I see other people's pitbulls or large dogs.:;bb

12. toosie Well Known Member Member

Well, good dogs get put down all of the time because of people that don't show respect for the animal's boundaries, but you're right, most times it doesn't hit the news the way it does for certain breeds. The very fact that animals DO often have to be put down no matter what the breed because of a lack of a certain level of understanding about dogs and how to behave around them is sad enough in itself.

13. slashgash Member Member

Ive always wanted a Great Dane, bu I was never allowed to have one as a kid. I was told by my mother that they were very viscous and untrainable. No matter how many times I told her they're called "gentle giants" for a reason she wouldnt listen. The only reason why I dont have one now is because I need to save up enough money to get it trained. lol. I dont wanna be dragged down the street and im not good with training dogs myself.

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

There was a story once about a guys pomeranian. He was baby sitting his infant neice, and he left the dog and baby on the bed together while he went off to make a bottle for the kid. He comes back and the dog has killed the baby, probably just out of trying to play with it. People just don't seem to understand that dogs ARE NOT humans, and they DON'T think and act like we do, and we can't MAKE them in to people, however hard we try. Not treating dogs like dogs is exactly what gets us in messes like this, and we aren't punished for it, the dogs are. Its stupid.

Well, there we go. I've started :p

15. toosie Well Known Member Member

Ah, it's ok Akari, I had to take this opportunity to do a little venting myself. I think the two of us could vent for quite some time by the sounds of it. Maybe we'll have to start a thread to do just that. ;)

16. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Thats what my mom thinks about Pit Bulls, even seeing how my aunts Pit acts with the kids. That dog lets those kids do all kinds of things to him, and he just lays there are takes it. If they get too rough, he will eventually take their hands into him mouth and move them away, or just get up and walk off, but otherwise ignores them.

Most of the Pit Bulls (and their human caretakers) problem is that they're terriers, and that really does explain just about everything :p

Danes are great dogs. Not quite big enough for me, though. I want an Irish Wolfhound :p Just gotta find one <.<

17. slashgash Member Member

I agree with you 100% Akari. I call my animals my children, but I dont treat them like humans. They are animals. I treat them as such.

lol ive never heard someone say a Dane isnt quite big enough for them :p

18. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The only way that I treat my dogs like humans is how I talk to them. I talk to them like they are coherent beings, and as a result, my dogs have a very large "vocabulary," if you will.

Hey, I'm 5' 11''. I need a my-sized-dog :p

19. slashgash Member Member

Lol I do the same thing. The other day, I had a long discussion with Storm about how her peeing and pooping on the floor really upsets me and she needs to work on holding it or letting me know when she needs to go out.

20. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Akari, I hope you can afford to buy food by the ton. ;D

Ignorant people make me lose faith in humanity :(