So this little acara baby fell into my shopping cart today..

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As he gets bigger, I'm going to set them up in their own tank - he's only around an inch right now. He's in my 36G for the moment - I'll likely move the tetras to their own tank and let this lil guy take over, or just set up another tank (I've been wanting one in the bedroom, anyway). Otherwise, I'll probably hold onto this one and rehome later. I'll be honest - I really just walked into the fish area on a whim (I had no intention of buying anything; I'd just come in to pick up more frozen food and some dog food).

Anyway, apparently someone's acaras had babies so they took them to our co-op - this was the last one. Took the best photos I could - I've never owned an acara before, but they don't seem to be too much more difficult than GBRs and just get big! Any advice? I can't tell if male or female - I'm more surprised I was able to get not just one good photo, but a few!

Edit: after comparing against stuff online, looks like "its a boy" :)

IMG_20200404_190324.jpgIMG_20200404_190450.jpgIMG_20200404_190452.jpgIMG_20200404_190453.jpgIMG_20200404_190458.jpgIMG_20200404_190624.jpg

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Here's what I know on acaras :)
They eat : blood worms, white worms, tubifex and brine shrimp.
It is best to feed them small portions morning and evening giving them different varieties of food.
If you put sand in the bottom of the tank they will like to dig in it.
They aren't aggressive but they do guard their territory especially during spawning season.
Hope this helps :D

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great looking little guy, it’s funny he’s the same length as that neon tetra in one photo

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm super-jealous!! :) These are the next fish that I want to try out after having read and watched videos of them quite a bit!! What a fantastic find!! Enjoy and post pictures as he/she grows!!

OP
Z

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BlackMolly99 said:
Here's what I know on acaras :)
They eat : blood worms, white worms, tubifex and brine shrimp.
It is best to feed them small portions morning and evening giving them different varieties of food.
If you put sand in the bottom of the tank they will like to dig in it.
They aren't aggressive but they do guard their territory especially during spawning season.
Hope this helps :D
Ah, so he'll fit in perfectly! I feed a cocktail of daphnia, bloodworms, and BBS. I can easily add tubifex to that :)

One of my tanks use sand, the other uses a humate mixture.

Thanks! I did do some quick research before paying the $5 just to make sure I wasn't buying one that's aggressive :) I defintiely won't be able to keep him with my tetras/rasbora longterm, but in the short term he should be okay.

And haha TWiG87 - he's smaller than my adult tetras!

New Threads