So This Is What Happens When You Cross A Gold Spot Sail-fin Pleco With A Rubber Lip

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hm, a true hybrid? Being different species I wonder if this is sterile?

OP
Aquatic_Fish

Aquatic_Fish

Reaction score
I was told its a hybrid, and I looked up hybrids of what the guy said and found nothing

Aquaphobia said:
Hm, a true hybrid? Being different species I wonder if this is sterile?
Its a bristle nose I think

slayer5590 said:
Looks like a bristlenose to me. Hybrids are quite rare in the pleco world.
Yeah I don't think it is

DoubleDutch said:
those species definitely won't hybridizem This is a female BN to me
That's what I though but the guy I got it from for free was like no my gold spot sailfin and rubber lip had babies together hahaha I was like whatever you say champ haha

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Where did you get it? Did the person breed them himself?

OP
Aquatic_Fish

Aquatic_Fish

Reaction score
Aquaphobia said:
Where did you get it? Did the person breed them himself?
Yeah he had a bunch of them and said he bred them himself and hasnt been able to breed any of the offspring

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Interesting. Do you know any other details, like which the parents supposedly were? Did he keep them all in the same tank?

I have heard an unsubstantiated claI'm that someone's Pleco was self-fertile and regularly produced offspring, just one at a time though. I have my doubts though.

fissh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very cool looking fish. Hybreds do exist in most fish, just because you haven't seen it, or haven't heard of it doesn't mean it can't happen! I saw a PindannI (mbuna) breed with a blue peacock, I thought this couldn't happen until I grew the offspring, which tuned out to be sterile. I can't say the offspring were pretty, they were just stange looking.

FeederGuppies

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That looks like my BN pleco..... Maybe they had 2 BNs and they bred together???

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fissh said:
Very cool looking fish. Hybreds do exist in most fish, just because you haven't seen it, or haven't heard of it doesn't mean it can't happen! I saw a PindannI (mbuna) breed with a blue peacock, I thought this couldn't happen until I grew the offspring, which tuned out to be sterile. I can't say the offspring were pretty, they were just stange looking.
I am not a cichlid-expert but those are both Pseudotropheus (so related) in my opinion.
There are hybridized synodonthis, gouramis.
The mentioned plecs are related like cats amd rabbits (not). The plec in the pic looks like a nice female Ancistrus cf cirrhosis

OP
Aquatic_Fish

Aquatic_Fish

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
I am not a cichlid-expert but those are both Pseudotropheus (so related) in my opinion.
There are hybridized synodonthis, gouramis.
The mentioned plecs are related like cats amd rabbits (not). The plec in the pic looks like a nice female Ancistrus cf cirrhosis
I'm gonna have to agree with you

fissh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They're both fish out of the same lake, and they're both cichlids, but that's as far as being related goes. They're about as related as a rubberlip and a gold spot pleco.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fissh said:
They're both fish out of the same lake, and they're both cichlids, but that's as far as being related goes. They're about as related as a rubberlip and a gold spot pleco.
Sorry but you're not correct :
To my knowledge these cichlids are from the same genus Pseudotropheus.
A sailfin Pterygoplichthys and rubberlip Chaetostoma

fissh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry but your not correct! The PindanI is a mbuna, all Pseudotropheus are mbuna, and peacocks are Aulonocara. Peacocks are more closely related to Haplochromis than mbuna. The fish don't always read the same books as you do and don't always act the way you think they should. Anything is possible!!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All the Cichlids in Lake Malawi, regardless of genus, are so closely related that they can all hybridize with one another. I've actually seen Pseudotropheus and Dimidiochromis hybrids. OB Peacocks are the result of crossing Mbuna with Aulonocara.

However, the two Plecos in question are genetically too far apart to hybridize. Since one comes from cool, fast streams and the other from warmer, slow waters, I doubt that they would even want to spawn at the same time. As noted, it appears to be a Bristlenose.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom