So This Happened

Rcslade124

Valued Member
Reaction score
My tanks have held stable for a good week. I did a 20% water change two days ago. Needed to upgrade filter and let my gf convince me to go and add fish. They were a little stressed but this morning they are all nice and calm. Added tss since I messed with filter. Checked water 12 hours later ammonia is up about .5 so seems to be holding well. And I know it's a little cramped since it's a 20g hex but I'll be sure to keep them happy. Also my 2 red eye tetras are out and joining the group!!! They have been pretty skittish so they are adjusting. Now a couple weeks and I'll add Cory's and shrimp.

Attachments

OP
Rcslade124

Rcslade124

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know Cory's would probably be better in a longer tank but idk what else to put down there besides shrimp. I think its about 19 l 16 d.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You would treat it as a nano tank. You could have a school of pygmy cories for the bottom
Caresheet: Pygmy Cory | Corydoras pygmaeus, hastatus, habrosus | Aquariadise
I would def add an airstone if you get cories because there won't be a lot of o2 at the bottom because of the tank's small surface.

And ember tetras for the middle
Ember Tetra: Is The Fire Tetra Right For Your Aquarium? | Fishkeeping World

Maybe scarlet badis or sparking gourami.

A lot of sites for nano fish suggest celestrial pearl danios, maybe that could work, but personally I feel they need more horizontal swimming room. Same with clown killifish, they stay right under the water's surface most of the time, but really need more room to swim around imo.

DoraCory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pygmy Cories might be ok, but the larger ones probably wouldn't thrive in a tank with a small foot print like that, especially when you need a group of 5/6 fish.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since your tank is cycling, I would hold off on getting any more fish (I forgot to add). But I think you'd want the dwarf cories over the others. My small panda cories didn't even do well in my 27g hex.

Jayda97

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i had panda corys in a regular 20g not even a hex and when i upgraded to a 45 they were so much happier and more active. I wouldn’t put them in a tall 20g hex i dont think theyd be very happy

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i had panda corys in a regular 20g not even a hex and when i upgraded to a 45 they were so much happier and more active. I wouldn’t put them in a tall 20g hex i dont think theyd be very happy
Yea they are cute and small, but need more room I think. I've never tried the dwarf cories myself, but I've seen all over they are ok as a nano fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Weekly

Votes: 73 67.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 17.4%

Top Bottom