So my tank has reached 83° and probably counting

  • Thread starter Nickguy5467
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,957
i have absolutely no idea why my tank is running so hot(in fish perspective) usually my tank would bee 77 and would need the heater to keep it that way.. nothing was wrong, had a leak from 37, new tank 29 same equipment same stand, different substrate and added plants. feel like all of my fish are going to die at this point. the simple temp solution would be do waterchanges with colder water. but even my tap is "luke warm" 80° right out of the tap and then it just goes back up. thing is. i dont know if its just summer, or something magical about this tank that doesnt like me. i mean my QT tank at 10 galons needed the heater to keep it at 78 at the time or it would dip into low 70s. used one of the same filters. so im confuzzled. little scared. mostly scared my fish will cook dead
 

Beneful1

Active Member
Member
Messages
69
What's your room temperature and there's the possibility your heater is wonky
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,957
Beneful1 said:
What's your room temperature and there's the possibility your heater is wonky
heater is attached to the inkbird controller so its not even powered on as i have the tartget temp set to 77

my room temp is kind of warm (dont know, i need to get a thermometer for my room) to me but even if that were the case , why woundnt the larger tank be warm like that because it was basically the same set up
 

qldmick

Well Known
Member
Messages
908
Why are you using a heater in California in summer?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,957
qldmick said:
Why are you using a heater in California in summer?
hmm. im not? but its not like i need to take it out if its not even running, well it did run in my QT tank until today when i moved it back to my main tank along with my new fish
 

Cody

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,883
The only thing I could think is if your light is giving off a considerable amount of heat. Although that seems a little odd. But nothing else should really generate enough heat to warm the water.
 

Betta02

Active Member
Member
Messages
283
My tanks are not in an air conditioned room. It's hot here. I leave my lids open, lights off, and a fan running to pull cool air from the other room. Tank is at 77, room temp is probably around 80 ish. I wouldn't recommend this if you have fish that might jump, has worked great for me. This is my 65, funny thing is my little Betta tanks are cruising along at 80, no warmer.
 

RomeoOscar

Active Member
Member
Messages
248
You can use computer fans, connect them to a 12 volt charger (so that you can plug it in the electrical grid) that's how I cool my tank in the summer got one fan running all day long
 

Tallen78

Active Member
Member
Messages
472
Betta02 said:
My tanks are not in an air conditioned room. It's hot here. I leave my lids open, lights off, and a fan running to pull cool air from the other room. Tank is at 77, room temp is probably around 80 ish. I wouldn't recommend this if you have fish that might jump, has worked great for me. This is my 65, funny thing is my little Betta tanks are cruising along at 80, no warmer.
I have the same issue with my fish room this morning I had 3 tanks at 83 and one at 80 I also just leave the lights off till I get home from work
 
  • #10

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,341
Nickguy5467 said:
i have absofreakingly no idea why my tank is running so hot(in fish perspective) usually my tank would bee 77 and would need the heater to keep it that way.. nothing was wrong, had a leak from 37, new tank 29 same equipment same stand, different substrate and added plants. feel like all of my fish are going to die at this point. the simple temp solution would be do waterchanges with colder water. but even my tap is "luke warm" 80° right out of the tap and then it just goes back up. thing is. i dont know if its just summer, or something magical about this tank that doesnt like me. i mean my QT tank at 10 galons needed the heater to keep it at 78 at the time or it would dip into low 70s. used one of the same filters. so im confuzzled. little scared. mostly scared my fish will cook dead
As you asked a while back your equipment all makes heat, pumps, lights, ect. So going down about 10 gal now that same equipment heats water much easier. Plus its summer.

You can put frozen water bottles in tank to lower temp.

I get up at 445 am (house was 78) put 2 industrial fans and back and front door of house. I can cool house back down to 68 (current outside temp at 530am). Then when sun comes up close all windows and shades. Then even when outside is 95 inside only 81.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,957
Betta02 said:
My tanks are not in an air conditioned room. It's hot here. I leave my lids open, lights off, and a fan running to pull cool air from the other room. Tank is at 77, room temp is probably around 80 ish. I wouldn't recommend this if you have fish that might jump, has worked great for me. This is my 65, funny thing is my little Betta tanks are cruising along at 80, no warmer.
unforunately my plants need light so it would be difficult to test that theory but i think i already have and didnt seem to change anything
 
Top Bottom