So my tank has finally cycled, need help to finish stocking

1. Homunculus Member Member

Thanks to all the great advice I received here about a month ago, I have finally gotten my 29g tank cycled and am ready to finish stocking it. I have a Aquaclear 70. Here is what I have at the moment:

1 Dwarf Gourami
    1 Swordtail (male)
    1 Platy (male)
    1 German Blue Ram
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    1 Oto
    8 Neon Tetras

I would like to get 1 or 2 fish about 2-3 inches in size. What would go well with what I have already?

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Would you be willing to rehome the GBR? It would need much warmer temps than your otos and neons. You could get one or a pair of bolivian rams instead and then up your shoal of otos to at least 6?

3. Homunculus Member Member

I couldn't give up my GBR, Merlin has been with me since about a week of setting up my tank and I have really grown fond of him. I keep my tank at 78 degrees and everyone seems to be doing fine at that temperature. From what I have read Neons that are bred in captivity can withstand higher temperatures than their wild-caught counterparts. Why do I need more Otos? I didnt think they were a schooling fish.

4. Quibbles Member Member

Otos are a shoaling fish, and they take comfort in numbers. It is great to have at least 6. When kept alone, they are highly stressed, and prone to disease and premature death. Good luck!

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Neons would do best below 75. 78 would be at the high end of their temp range which would result in shortened lifespans.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/10691

If you're attached to your GBR, you could rehome the neons and otos and get more temp compatible schooling fish?

6. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

If you like the looks of the neons, you could go with Cardinal tetras instead. IMO just as pretty if not more so and are temp compatible with the GBR.

7. Homunculus Member Member

Ok, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will rehome the neons and oto, and look into finding some cardinal tetras. Any ideas on what other single (non-schooling) fish would work in my tank?

8. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Gouramis of some sort would be good. I love the look of pearl gouramis, but I have never owned one and not sure about their temperament.

9. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't add a pearl with a DG in there already.

What about adding another GBR of the opposite sex?

10. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Opps didnt notice there was already a DG. Thought just an angel. Maybe I am mixing up threads...

11. Homunculus Member Member

I would love to get a GBR of the opposite sex, especially the gold variety, but IDK what sex mine is and how to tell the difference. I will look into it though. If I cant definitively tell the sex though I wouldnt want to risk it.

12. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You can always post a photo and I'm sure someone can help ID.

13. Homunculus Member Member

Sure, I'll post a picture tomorrow night. Away from home for tonight. From what I've read about sexing GBRs im thinking it is probably a female due to the purplish patch on the belly.

14. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

That sounds like a girl to me!

15. Homunculus Member Member

Here are pictures of my GBR:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Homunculus Member Member

[​IMG]