So my mystery snail died i think

Idkitsathrowaway

I say i think because im not there.
im staying with my mom cause my dad and step mom got covid. i called them and they say my snail is dead. he was acting funny when i last saw him he would float for a few hours so i did a couple large water changes that week i tryed to put him on the substrate or glass but he floated up again.
he was on the ground the last few days i was there so i thought he was good, we gust got bck from a vacation and i hadn't done a water change in abought a month since i do them every 2 weeks and on a squedual i will admit i forgot to do it once we got back (for 2 days wile we unpacked) and prior we were rushing and i berly had time to find and set up a feeder.
i did the smell test the last time i saw him when he was floating and (ive always had a week sence of smell so i may not be good in that area) nothing. he was abought 3 inches and my dad said there is nothing in the shell and no foot. this is odd i don't think my guppies would of done it they've ignored him always and i made sure the kuhlies were always fat and happy.
there were a bunch of mlasion trumpet snails but would they of done this? this is not the first time a fish died wile i was a way( my first betta, in years, wile carrie was doing water change and forgot bettas jumped, and a guppie which looking back was a likely at least half ender. cause she didnt do enough( dont worry i banned her from every thing except feeding cause i cant controle that when im gone.) i haven't been there to confirm death and there have been no photos i dont even know if hes removed the shell

Yeoy

If there is no foot then the snail has died. Generally when they're alive the contracted muscles will keep the foot shut. It's unlikely your other fish or snails killed this one, but once it died - anything dead in a tank becomes food and 99% of common aquarium species will eat anything dead.

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

i know no foot =death but idk if they dont see the foot or they are making a mistake they arent the most observant when it comes too my tank plus they have been known to not tell me if they killed a fish or mine(like a yellow Moscow i had) so idk if its something else i need to see it i hope you understand ive asked for photos and didnt send any they may be trying to scare me or something else that is something they would do

Upvote 0

Marlene327

I have many mystery snails in my 40 gallon tank, will guess 15ish. Every now and then while cleaning, I find empty shells. I don't know why they die, but worry they don't get enough food because I have Amano shrimp and 10 corydoras which grab everything in sight. About once a week I gather all I can find and put them in a small tank and drop a few algae wafers and/or zucchini in for them, then put them back into the tank an hour later. I don't know if they need it, but they do eat uninterrupted!

The shrimp and corys, and any fish if they can get to it, will eat the snail once it's died, but they don't kill it. They enjoy the protein of some escargo. Unfortunately it happens, and is part of the ecosystem.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Idkitsathrowaway
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Idkitsathrowaway
Replies
Views
sattelmauser
  • Question