So my angelfish laid eggs...

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shawnie, you were right. Marty, my Angelfish, is in fact a Marticia lol.

Today she frantically tried to harass me through the glass. I have never seen her do that until today. So i looked around and to my great surprise found a batch of eggs chilling on the aquarium glass. My questions are, do angelfish need to externally fertilize their eggs? And why did she all of a sudden just decide now was the time? She hasn't seen another angel in months.

I'll try to post pictures later. She doesn't like me getting in close with the camera. New mothers... can't blame 'em

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello TFA,

Yes, Angel Fish need to externally fertilize the eggs. Even though she hasn't been exposed to other Angels it's natural for her to still lay eggs but they won't be viable.

Different things cause spawning. Increased or decreased temperatures, change in diet, a water change, a change in pH levels.

Ken

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi TFA, I had 2 female Jewels in a 39gal once who each had a cave at either side of the tank. They would both lay eggs and "guard" their cave from the other fish. Are you going to get her a boyfriend?

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@ Aquarist

Darn, was kinda hoping for a bunch of little angels around the tank. Oh well, where would I put them i guess? I could always donate them to the LFS i suppose...

@ Nick

I might consider it. But then that brings up another question...

She lives with a clown pleco in a 20 gallon tank. They're they only fish in the tank. Also, she's gotten to be around 3-4 inches long and about 6 inches tall. If I were to go about getting her a boyfriend (wink wink) how would i go about doing so. I understand they need to actually decide on their mate, and as you can see, sexing them isn't exactly my forte haha

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads