So much questions

1. TomTheFishNoob

TomTheFishNoob Valued Member Member

Hey all, sorry if this is so much questions to answer. I'm still pretty new to this hobby.

1. Currently I have 3 platies, 2 mollies, 9 neon tetras, 1 dwarf gourami, and 1 mystery snail in my 20 gallon tank. Is there anyway I can keep all these fishes without getting rid of any?

2. So my platies are 2 female and 1 male, one of the female is pregnant and I don't want any fry since my tank is already so full. What do I do?

3. I feed all my fishes tropical flakes but is it possible for anyone to give me an exact amount to feed them?

4. Is my male platt bloated or is he just fat? I think I'm feeding them too much.

5. Thinking of getting some shrimps, do shrimps take up a lot of space in my tank, people said I should get rid of the mollies but I developed a connection for them. They have so much personality.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. M

Msdisastermaster New Member Member

In regards to the keeping all of the fish, you may be okay, or atleast borderline, if you get a very powerful filter. Like one for a 40 or 55 gal, they always help with keeping a tank healthy, happy, and clean :)

Secondly, imo a couple/few ghost shrimp do not take up alot of room/bioload. But I may be wrong.

3. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

Agreed on the shrimp. They take up very little bioload. Be careful with the type you get though; ghosts aren't the easiest to breed so they won't over run your tank but cherry and other nanos are prolific and you'll soon have a herd.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately I think you're a bit overstocked. Is this a 20 gal high or long?

If you upgraded to a 29 gal, I think you'd be fine to keep all of them though! If you didn't want to upgrade, I'd rehome the mollies.

I'd rehome the female platies and get 2 more males.

An exact amount is impossible to give, but a good rule of thumb is an amount the size of their eye (per fish) one to two times daily.

You can fast them for a few days to see if the male gets skinnier. Fasting will not hurt the fish. You can decrease the amount you're feeding after.

Shrimp don't take up much space, but small shrimp will be eaten in your tank. Amano or ghost shrimp might be fine though.

5. OP
    OP
    TomTheFishNoob

TomTheFishNoob Valued Member Member

I have 20 gallon long, what will happen to my fishes if I don't get rid of the mollies?

6. l

littleredridingmech Valued Member Member

It depends on how powerful your filter is and your maintenance schedule. Mollies have a very high bioload (they're dirty fish) and a 29-30 gallon minimum is recommended to help keep it in check. If you're overfiltered, like Msdisastermaster said, and you are very consistent about water changes (use your test kit to find out how often/how much you need to do to keep nitrates under 20) then they will be fine. If you are underfiltered or your filter is only good for exactly your tank volume, then your other fish can be affected by ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate poisoning.

7. TexasDomer

There's not a lot of swimming space for them and you won't see their natural and relaxed behaviors. You may start to see bullying or nipping if they feel cramped.

It's not only bioload space, but physical space. Some mollies can get up to 5 inches, and that's too large for a 20 gal.

8. l

littleredridingmech Valued Member Member

A 29 has the same footprint as a 20 long, though. I don't know about mollies but my tetras rarely leave the middle of the water column. AFAIK, fish prefer going back and forth rather than up and down and a taller tank of the same footprint wouldn't give them more of that.

9. TexasDomer

There's more height to the tank, and the mollies will use it. They're not strictly single-level dwellers, and they'll use the entire tank.