So much evaporation

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by Rasbora, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Rasbora

Rasbora New Member Member

I live in Toronto Canada and its pretty cold here this time of year and the cold outside wether results in so much water evaporation in my tanks. Is there any easy was other than a canopy to stop this, I'm going away on Christmas and I'm worried when I get home the water level will be so low and my heater will exsplode

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Maybe set up a humidifier. I've never used one for this but it seems like it should slow it down pretty well. Also, if you use a wood burning stove make sure you have one of those "steam pots" on it.

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Evaporation is usually a result of humidity (or lack there of). Allowing the water to be absorbed by the air. The higher the humidity, the less water the air can absorb.

Do you use a Gas heater, open fire place or similar? We're coming into summer here and my evaporation has reduced by about 1/2 liter per 24 hours, because the gas heater is no longer running.

How much evaporation do you experience?

There are few things you can do to reduce the evaporation rate:
    1 - Canopy
    2 - Glass lid/cover
    3 - as a make shift, you could probably put cling-wrap (Glad wrap) over the top, but don't cover the entire tank, you still need room for air to escape.

For your heater, can you re-position it so that it is lower in the tank?

What sort of filters are you running? HOBs can stall if water levels get too low.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A glass top is cheap and will all but eliminate evaporation. However, if you are running HOBs then some evaporation will still take place because of the filter. Glass top with a canister - virtually no evaporation.

5. S

SentientMeat New Member Member

If the heater is your worry, maybe just position it horizontally and lower in the tank? Also, if you're using bubblers/air-stones, the extra surface agitation will contribute to the evaporation.

6. MissSwan

MissSwan Valued Member Member

I am having the same problem with evaporation so what I've decided to try, since the only two changes are the addition of a heater and the addition of plants and you really can't do anything about the plants) was to move the heater lower in the water. We'll see how it works.

7. marine590622

marine590622 Well Known Member Member

Lowering the heater was to prevent the water level dropping to the level of the heating element causing the heater to malfunction and potentially exploade. Lowering the heater will not reduce evaporation.Evaporation is a function of the fact that cold air can hold very little water vapor, we suck cold air into our homes and heat it when it is cold out. This leaves us with nice dry warm air that can soak up a lot of moisture. a better sealing lid is really the only effective way to reduce the evaporation.

8. B

Berylla Well Known Member Member

Saran Wrap is a stop-gap option but does work.

9. MissSwan

Thanks guys. I monitor everything constantly (I LOVE to watch my fish swim and the plants!) so the water doesn't go too far down. My misunderstanding. But with the saran wrap... I thought the tank also needed to have access to the air (don't know a better way to say that...) so that it could be healthy? I have plants so... ?

10. B

For the Saran Wrap, just leave some places open, like around your filter. That should be good enough. It's just a stop gap when you go on your holiday. You will need to buy a glass top later.

11. MissSwan

I have a plastic lid with the light source above that over glass/fake glass. But it's a good thing to know about for when I leave on vaca.

12. B

You need to protect your plastic lid with the light fixture from moisture - it will rust out fast and die. That's what happened to me 2x. Invest in the glass top. It will save your lights.

13. MissSwan

Oh? Moisture as far as I can tell can't really get to the light... I will have to go inspect it. Thanks for the heads up! Um... Can I find those on Amazon?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice