So many females!

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In my tank presently, I have three adult guppies, and seven juveniles of varying sizes (but no newborn fry... for the moment...!).

Within those ten guppies, I have a single male. I purchased the three adults, but it seems like every guppy fry that survives in my aquarium is female. Is it possible that the are any environmental factors at play? Did I just happen to flip a coin seven times and get heads on each flip? Previous experience provided me with a single male juvenile, but a camallanus outbreak wiped him out along with out ~90% of my stock, leaving me with two existing female juveniles. I'm checking occasionally for any gonopodium development, especially in the younger ones, but all those analfins keep maintaining their triangular shape.

Has anyone seen a similar ratio in their guppy breeding? My one male doesn't seem to mind, but honestly I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a little more colouration!

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Enviromental factors "can" be of influence on the sex ratio during pregnancy. But it could also be just a coincidence.

OP
Y

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sample size is admittedly low (anytime "n" is a single digit number, be wary of the statistics...) but it does feel unusual. I dug through a few scientific abstracts and the only real data I could dig up was a question of predation density, which is obviously not a huge factor in my home aquarium!

New Threads