So I've never had a girl betta before...

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by cajunfiberco, Mar 18, 2010.

1. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

Is there anything I should know/do for the female of the species? For some reason I'm nervous about the egg part... when I see pics of poor girls that are so swollen from not absorbing the eggs or dropping them or whatever.... ack. ???

2. hooxeii

hooxeii Well Known Member Member

Egg-bound females can happen, but they're not -too- terribly common. I'd even say most females don't get it during their lifetime.

If you're thinking of getting a girl, do it! Yes, there's a risk of her getting egg-bound, but it's no greater than any other illness risk. The girls are a hoot, and so darn cute!

3. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I have to say I love my girls :p
    The boys are all tough and macho but the girls are just sneaky :p

4. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I've never had a girl, but I will at some stage, the ones I have access to are brown and a bit dull in colour, I'd like a nice bright little girl

5. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

My LFS rarely had any that were truly bright, that's saved for the males, just like all the other species on the planet. I swear, it's why human females wear makeup. To break that nasty rule!

Anyway, if you do decide to go with females in one tank, make sure to not have less than 3 of them. Five is better. Eight is even better still. :party0049:

6. Tigerfishy

Hmmm, Lynda, are you enabling??
    I can see the scenario now.... "I can't just have 2, so I have to have at least 3. But that's still a bit dodgy, I'll just have to get 8" From 1 to 8 girlies in 5 seconds, a record!

7. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Who, me? Enable? Moi? :whistling:

8. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

My girl is more active than all my males combined. She's bright blue in color, not at all dull.

9. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

She will be fine...She is 5 months old and never been bred...She has not been around males so she has never become egg bound...She is a sweet little girl...Not sassy at all...In fact the reason I'm selling her is because she does not have that show attitude I need in my girls...She is a mellow happy little girl...

10. Tigerfishy

Lol, very true, I should have known better, sorry!!! :p

This is very interesting, I really want a little girl now! Let us know how you get on with yours, I wouldn't worry about her. And you have the best resource available to you if anything does happen..... MM!

11. hooxeii

hooxeii Well Known Member Member

Often in pet stores the females will be dull in color because they are terribly scared and stressed. My Iskiera was dull brown when I got her and bloomed into a nice red. Lily was pale silver-blue and is now a gorgeous purple-y blue.

12. Robin4

Robin4 Valued Member Member

Hey - so you can have several betta girls in one tank and they won't fight? That is cool. So if there are no males in the tank, do they still produce eggs?

Thanks for the first-hand information!

No-Betta-Knowledge
    Robin

13. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Keeping females together is not something I recommend..They WILL fight....I have a 55 gallon sorority tank but my girls have been raised together....

14. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

Oh so if they are not near/can't see males they won't develop any eggs? That's really cool - esp as she won't be near any males at all. My boys are all in seperate rooms

15. Robin4

Robin4 Valued Member Member

Sorority tank - I like that!

16. ags2083

ags2083 Valued Member Member

This may sound silly but make sure the lid is always on your aquarium. My females would jump like crazy. All of them at some point jumped out of the tank when I would try and feed them. I finally just put the pellets in the back of the tank through the cut out that the filter rests in. Just my two cents!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice