Question so, im thinking about getting a bearded dragon...??

Sh_akers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
so, i want to get a bearded dragon... and heres what i want, and what i know.... im going to have it in a 55g fish tank... but its got a hood that came with it.... can i use those hoods? cuz i know it takes a certain light (uvb) and the light is seperate from the hood, by a piece of glass or plastic, not sure which... would that cause a problem?... and with the basking light... would that work at all? or am i going to need to purchase 2 new 24in hoods? ive basically got everything else figured out... just a little confused over the hood/light/heating..

gunner13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
With lighting in your viv it should be both light and heat from 1 source running off of a dimmer stat. The dimmer stat should be controlling a 100 watt reflector bulb from the right or left side of the viv to give you a heat gradient..This bulb should also have a protective messhing around it so it never becomes in contact with the animal thus causing burns. As long as the hood you have is a tight fit with no gaps for escaping it should be fine to use. Just fix a bayonet or screw bulb fixing to the hood and connect it to the dimmer stat and temp probe and VOILA your away. Hope this helps.
Nick

bigreddog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You would be better off just buying a screen lid for the 55, that would take care of your lighting and heating worries.

gunner13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You would be better off just buying a screen lid for the 55, that would take care of your lighting and heating worries.
Forgive me for being thick but what is a screen lid. It would only be ok if it provided a suitable heat gradient for the animal. Please forgive my ignorance if it does.
Nick

bigreddog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A screen lid is a wire mesh lid they make for keeping reptiles rather than fish in your aquarium, they are pretty easy to find at your lfs. as far as heat and UV you can get a Zilla brand light to put right on the lid for your heating and lighting needs, unless the tank will be exposed to direct sunlight in that case all you would need is a good heat lamp for your basking area and an undertank heating pad to get the temp gradiant you are looking for. Hope this helps . Beardies are awesome pets to have.

dunning3075

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 10 in male beardie named achilles. He is the most awesome pet i have ever owned. I have a 55 gallon tank that he is in now with a screen top. you really need a screen top on a glass aquarium for ventilastion. I have two 18 in florescent fixtures with reptisun 10 bulbs for light and uvb. I run a zoo med 50 watt basking bulb for heat. It keeps his basking spot about 106 . I have a ceramic heat emitter for him at night. you really dont want to use the red lights as your dragon will sleep at night and the red light will bother him.
we just went through a shed and hes a little edgy as we are finishing it.

He eats about 40 to 50 crickets a day and a small bowl of diced veggies.

mainly broccoli,sqaush,colloflower, collard greens with carrots as a treet.

if you have any questions johnnieamber4e at yahoo

I did alot of research before i got my dragon and he was one of my best decisions.

also a full grown dragon will get up to 22 in and can live up to 20 years.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom